Advice for 100k

chewchew

I have roughly 100K spread over 4 accounts (Halifax, Northern Rock, AIB, Anglo Irish) earning between 4-5% interest. I'm single, have no mortgage (I live in rented accomodation) and I have no debts.

Could I be doing more with this money or is it best off where it is right now? Any advice appreciated:)

So I keep 20K or so in one of my demand savings accounts, drip-freed 40K into high interest savings accounts and move 2K per month product tracking major market indexs until I have my remaining 40k in there?

I must say I am completely clueless about anything involving the stock market, and as a result the mere mention of buying stocks sends shivers given all the recent news! Are these product tracking major market indexs you talk about high risk?

Unfortunately all stock market investments involve risk.Tracking a major market index however maximizes your diversification and greatly reduces your chance of a total loss compared to the purchase of individual stocks and shares.

For a worst case scenario compare an investment made eighteen months ago in an index tracking the iseq and purchasing shares in one of the Irish banks.

I agree with the majority of the advice given above, although personally I would imagine the stock markets are a long term investment as opposed to a medium term investment.

Personally I'd go for all the monthly savers etc... and a certain amount into your pension fund. I'd investment €25,000 - €30,000 in a solid BES.

Back