Advice booking holidays online

dewdrop

For past 30 years we always use a travel agent when going abroad. Recently friends tell us we are crazy not to do it online and save money. Roughly on say a holiday costing 2000 euro booked through a travel agent would one save if booked online. Also i notice from some posts that there are scams and bogus online providers. Should one always try and book with the hotel direct or is this possible. Any general advice appreciated as this seems a major step for us to take and as posters will have surmised we are in the golden years category but still mobile!

Lanzorate in January but may alter destinations in future. Checking the Fariones Hotel prices now seem dearer than in June. Maybe i am not reading it correctly

Dewdrop, I always book holidays and flights online, so the very best of luck if you decide to do so. I do a good bit of research beforehand, on sites such as Tripadvisor.com, in order to find what accommodation is best, what sights to see etc. Yes, you can book directly with hotels, in my experience. On Tripadvisor, you will also find links to booking sites and it enables you to compare prices etc. I dont honestly know how much of a saving I make, versus booking through a Travel Agent because I have done this now for many years. You need to think also about things like the transfer from the airport to your hotel. Again, on the travel websites you will find lots of useful information on this.
Just one thing, there is no value that can be placed on your peace of mind, knowing that your Travel Agent has booked everything for you, might be worth the price difference. I dont know, but it's just a thought.
As I said, very best of luck and I wish you many happy years travelling.

dewdrop - get a price from the internet --and then ask your travel agency if it can match.
As a travel agent I offer clients either a package from a tour operator usually with a discount or, increasingly, a "made-up" package from the internet -airline, accommodation,transfer, car-hire if needed .

As we often know where to get the cheapest deals on the internet (and we get commission from the internet sites that are often mentioned in this threads)it is very rare that the clients finds a better price than we can offer.
And we tend to know what accommodation is good -or absolute rubbish

Also, on the internet one often has to pay the full price immediately. We allow the customers to stagger payments.

And if clients have a problem abroad they can ring us (i.e. change hotel, help with injury/insurance, arrange money quickly etc). And ,yes, they can sue us more easily than an internet site (-though they never have reason to!)

And most clients spend up to an hour chatting and asking questions about where to go - no charge.

Look - those who love the internet, and like spending time searching, feel a great joy and even pride in getting a good deal. Fair play to them.

As I say -give the internet a go -and make sure your travel agency comes up with something better. If not it shouldn't be in business.

I booked the Fariones hotel online for September 2008. I emailed hotel direct and they didn't even take a booking deposit and check in was superb.
Booked flights direct with Aer Lingus. Total saving compared to Travel agent same period was around €250
Fariones Hotel has no air conditioning though, but the Fariones Playa has I think so check the other group hotels out.

I haven't used a travel agent in a long time, there are great savings to be found. Last year I got 2 weeks accommodation in June in the Canaries for €85pp!!

Just be sure to research properly, it can take time but is worth it. Be sure to include in your costings the things that often come included in Travel agents prices - transport from airport to your hotel, checked in bags etc.

As someone said for some it is fun doing all that research - I am one of those. I could spend hours browsing, searching and comparing prices. Not everyone likes that or has the time for it.

Re the prices being higher in Jan than June, the winter months are really popular in the Canaries - I am going in Feb and quite a few of the places I was looking at considered that time of the year to be their peak season and priced accordingly.

Thanks AgathaC for a very helpful response.

From your response to Agatha and your non response to Bronco I think that you really don't want to book online but were seeking reassurance that booking through a travel agent is the right thing to continue doing?

Grizzly I think your assessment may not prove correct. I will post again when i return! Meanwhile thanks to Bronco and everyone else who contributed.

Dewdrop - can I put you to the test?

I've always used travel agents when booking my family summer holiday but next year its about to change. I can get the following for these amounts -

Return tickets to Reus (staying 9 nights from 13 July - 22 July) €858.
Staying half board in Play Margarita hotel (family room) - €1244.
Cost of transfers €100 return.

Total cost for 9 nights in Salou amounts to €2,202 for a family of 5.

If you can beat that then I would gladly book with a travel agent.

Over €2200 for a family of 5 sharing a family room for 10 days. You have the bread, but you could have cake by booking an apartment/duplex for a total of €1700 incl car hire.

Am surprised if a travel agent could not get nine nights for 1244 in Playa Margarita on HB for family of five.

One could also get a one bedroom apt down the road on HB for a family of five for 1.000 euro for that period at the Almunsa Playa, though the Margarita is much better- albeit still slightly cramped for five in one bedroom, though that depends on age of kids I suppose.

( Lepers idea of a large apt sounds appealing -you should check it out! )

Flight prices of Ryanair to Reus on those dates are (today on Ryanair's website) much higher than price quoted in the example above, though Aer Lingus to Barcelona is still remarkably cheap and five could all fly with bags for that price.
As everyone knows, both airlines prices can change day-by-day.

Generally the price of Ryanair and Aer Lingus flight is usually same for an agent as for anyone else. (On long haul flights there should be savings for most people booking thru a good agent).

So , in this particular example it is the accommodation's price that the agent should beat. The flight price is that which is displayed on the airlines website and is not confirmed until payment is made.

What holiday sites do you use to book online? Most are UK sites which requires an extra flight to the UK to get a conection and possibly an overnight stay which is added cost.

I am not sure that booking with Ryanair so far ahead is a good idea. So far their sales are only for flights until the end of February although I notice that they have begun to drop their prices for March. I would imagine that Reus/Salou will drop in January and February.
I think that there will be lots of hotel promotions also available for next year. I agree in a lot of cases Aer Lingus are cheaper than Ryanair if booking far ahead. Ryanair actually losing a trick by not having a summer 2010 sale.

Mick O'Leary must have seen this thread and hiked up the price of the flights. Only yesterday before I posted the price going out on the Tuesday was €49.99 and back on the Thursday was €59.99. Looks like i'll have to look at the Aer Lingus option now or else wait till Mick decides to drop his price again.

Very odd about Ryanairs Summer prices to many destinations,especially Spain.
The prices have all doubled in the last two days!
Nobody will pay eight months ahead the full amount of 300- 350 euros which is Ryanair's full price inc. bag and all fees for many dates in July to Spanish destinations.
Especially when Lingus is averaging 150-200 euros inclusive.

Expect very soon Ryanair's amazing "half-price summer sale" !

Back