Advice and recommendations on what area in South Dublin to buy

S

sorcha1234

Hello,
I am only new to the forum, so I am not totally sure if it is ok to speak about particular areas in detail, but I had read threads from other posters so I hope this is ok.

I am not from Dublin originally, and I am now in a position to buy with the current market prices. I am currently renting an apt in Tallaght Dublin 24 and from my travels I was thinking of buying in either, the cheaper part of Templeogue (Rossmore or Orwell Areas), Rathfarnham, ideally around the Rathfarnham shopping centre/Tesco, Marley Grange area or Ballinteer.

I have no knowledge of these areas, as in I don't know anyone personally who lives there, just they seem nice to me, for a young married couple hoping to start a family. I am just looking for any help getting the full inside before I take the plunge, as I said all I really know would be like, Marley is close to Dundrum, the luas and the lovely park, Butterfield area has Bushey park and a lovely pub the old orchard.... If anyone who lives in any of these areas or is from there etc. could help me or give me advice or your recommendations?

Many Thanks
Sorcha

orwell/rossmore is a nioce areas as is around butterfield....i'm sure other 2 are equally nice too just dont know them myself......i think rathfarnham would get my vote.....if i could afford it!!

Orwell/Rossmore wouldn't be considered as nice as the other areas that you mentioned.

The Gallops is a very nice area and close to Dundrum and Marley area. It is very settled, the older part I mean. Good Luck Browtal

Hi Sorcha,
I grew up in Sandyford and my other half in Rossmore, we now live in Grangewood opposite Marley Park. We've been here for 10 years and have to say it's a great place to live. THe park is right on our doorstep and there's loads of amenities such as Nutgrove, Dundrum Shopping centre and loads of sports clubs close by.
We looked at a lot of areas when choosing here and couldn't be happier with our choice, we've two young children and the facilities are great. Given your list of places I'd choose Marley Grange.
D

Hello,
I am only new to the forum, so I am not totally sure if it is ok to speak about particular areas in detail, but I had read threads from other posters so I hope this is ok.

I am not from Dublin originally, and I am now in a position to buy with the current market prices. I am currently renting an apt in Tallaght Dublin 24 and from my travels I was thinking of buying in either, the cheaper part of Templeogue (Rossmore or Orwell Areas), Rathfarnham, ideally around the Rathfarnham shopping centre/Tesco, Marley Grange area or Ballinteer.

I have no knowledge of these areas, as in I don't know anyone personally who lives there, just they seem nice to me, for a young married couple hoping to start a family. I am just looking for any help getting the full inside before I take the plunge, as I said all I really know would be like, Marley is close to Dundrum, the luas and the lovely park, Butterfield area has Bushey park and a lovely pub the old orchard.... If anyone who lives in any of these areas or is from there etc. could help me or give me advice or your recommendations?

Many Thanks
Sorcha

Butterfield area is very nice family area, you also have park at rathfarnham castle as well and it would probally be the closest to town of the 3 areas. How close to the Luas is Marley I still think it is a good walk away -someone closer will know more and don't think the buses are great up there (open to correction).

You're right, Luas is miles away from Marley. I doubt you'd ever walk it. Busses up there aren't great, and the way things are going, they're not going to get any better. Apart from amazing access to the park and Dublin/Wicklow mountains, I wouldn't like to live in that area. It's pure suburban - you'd never go to a shop that wasn't in a shopping centre, or travel anywhere without using the M50. Maybe some of that appeals to you, I'm not sure.

As for Rossmore/Orwell, I haven't been up that way in a while.. I remember not liking the feel of the place, but you do have much better transport links there and at least you're vaguely close to a village area.

I'd have to agree with Luckycharm, I would go for Butterfield.. some nice houses in there, lots of busses closeby, near to a village, and a shopping centre, bushy park, numerous pubs, etc and slightly closer to town.

Hi Sorcha,

Welcome to AAM.

You might get some further info on the areas you are interested in by running the search option in this forum. They may be a bit dated but still might be useful.

From reading your post I would imagine there is a big difference in purchase price between the areas listed.

I would definitely have a preference for something close to the Luas as we find it a gift especially if you want to hop into town and not have to bring the car, pay for parking or get stuck in traffic.

www.neighbours.ie might have something further or www.boards.ie

Marley Grange is a lovely estate, location wise I'd say Butterfield is probably the best. All good areas though!

The Gallops is a very nice area and close to Dundrum and Marley area. It is very settled, the older part I mean. Good Luck Browtal

The Gallops area is nice but the pub is rough and so are the council houses adjacent to Dunnes Stores etc

Thank you everyone for your contributions, that's really a great help. I was just wondering also if anyone has any opinions on Ballinteer? Its a good bit cheaper, but seems quite nice too? And close to Marlay and Dundrum too?

I have lived in Rossmore for 20+ years and can't understand why anyone would not like the feel of the place, or not consider it as nice as the other areas you mention! I have raised children here and would rate it highly. All amenities are nearby, transport links excellent, and schools, shops, parks, sports, everything in walking distance. It's very quiet and safe for kids. If I were starting over, I'd choose it again. Marley is a lovely area but I think the facilities around here are better. I never take the car to town...

I have lived in Rossmore for 20+ years and can't understand why anyone would not like the feel of the place, or not consider it as nice as the other areas you mention! I have raised children here and would rate it highly. All amenities are nearby, transport links excellent, and schools, shops, parks, sports, everything in walking distance. It's very quiet and safe for kids. If I were starting over, I'd choose it again. Marley is a lovely area but I think the facilities around here are better. I never take the car to town...

agree 100% am not from the are but live close-ish by...lovely area, great sports clubs, excellent schools, close to town....

Hello,

Many Thanks
Sorcha

Property around Rathfarnham shopping centre would be a lot more expensive than property in the cheaper parts of Templeogue or near Marley or Ballinteer. Its a lovely area though, with great amenities and a decent enough bus service. But, as I said, its in a different bracket to the other areas you mention so you would need to be prepared to spend more if you decide to move there.

Back