Advice about life assurance (Changing to dual convertible)

thejuggler

Looking for some advice about Life assurance please.
When we purchased our house about 12 years ago we took out a Life Options Plan 'Whole of Life' policy with Irish Life. This was sold to us by a Financial adviser working for the Estate Agent.
Perhaps foolishly we never reviewed the policy. We receive an annual update from Irish Life and pay 39.14 monthly for a sum assured of €156,400.
Yesterday out of the blue I received a letter from the Estate Agent financial adviser telling me that 'We can help you save thousands and get a tax free lump sum of €2752.21'.
It goes on to tell me that the Premium review date on the current plan is 8/1/2017 and that premiums are likely (in their experience) to double after the review.
They then presented an alternative .
Switching to a 'Guaranteed Premium' convertible term plan can provide the same cover with cover available up to age 85. They provide the example of a Dual Convertible Term of 15 years for both my wife and I. The life cover sum assured is €156.400. The new guaranteed premium is €29.91.
Benefits include Surrender value of €2752.21 returned to us now.
Like for like benefits with cheaper premiums over term.
Guaranteed premiums - no increases throughout the term.
No medical details required to convert cover to age 85 if required.
On the face of it looks like a good deal but not being familiar with life assurance maybe I'm missing something. Is there a catch?
I think if I was to proceed I would like to reduce the sum insured to the current mortgage value of the house which should cut costs further. We already have life assurance through our jobs plus VHI so its not a requirement for anything other than clearing the mortgage.
Any advice?

What age are you now? Is the guaranteed premium only for the 15 yrs and then when you exercise the convertible option are you charged the premium for some one your age then and not the same one as you had been paying and if that was to run to age 85 what price is that.

Who needs life cover to 85 anyway, a lot less would do from retirement on, sufficient to bury you :)

Last edited:
So if you take the policy now for the 15 yr term, what does you premium go to when you convert it to a new policy at 65?

Mind you your existing policy isn't going to be a lot of good to you either if the premium is going to skyrocket which whole of life ones do.

Maybe a straight forward term assurance to retirement or whenever you feel comfortable with might be the most economic option.

A trip to a financial advisor might be a good plan.

When we purchased our house about 12 years ago we took out a Life Options Plan 'Whole of Life' policy with Irish Life. This was sold to us by a Financial adviser working for the Estate Agent.
Perhaps foolishly we never reviewed the policy. We receive an annual update from Irish Life and pay 39.14 monthly for a sum assured of €156,400.
Yesterday out of the blue I received a letter from the Estate Agent financial adviser telling me that 'We can help you save thousands and get a tax free lump sum of €2752.21'.

Ok, let me get this straight in my head. This salesman (they are not advisors), sold you a rubbish product that seems really cheap initially but the premiums increase drastically over time. They then write to you and tell you they can save you thousands by getting rid of the rubbish product they sold you in the first place????? And you get a tax-free lump sum of €2,752. Money that is yours anyway!!! That you didn't know it was there in the first place doesn't make a difference, it is your money.

If you only want cover for your mortgage, get reducing cover life cover. For two 40 year old non smokers, for €156,400 for 15 years, it will cost €17 a month. That premium is guaranteed.

Do not go back to the salesman who sold you that policy, they are the ones that give the rest of us a bad name.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

So what is my best course of action - contact Irish life directly and request to change to reducing life cover?

You have to take out a new policy. When the new one has been put in force, cancel the existing one and get your cash back.

If you go to Irish Life, you get their price, which isn't the cheapest in the market.

Steven
www.bluewaterfp.ie

Back