Ads that really getting on my wick.....

George Lee was discussing ads this morning.

Does any one know how to spell "Chin-a-wung-shun"?

Several generations of school children remember these radio ad which began with the injunctive Farmers! and then went on to discuss mange mites etc.

These ads were very effective with school children but were the effective with their intended target market?

Had to dig up this thread...the ad for Sensodyne toothpaste makes me laugh. They all speak about the topic of...wait for it...sensitive teeth...in almost hushed tones as though it is some terrible disease. :D

A recent ad for Aon Insurance. Showed 3 different people who I didnt recognise, but one of them looked like a heroin addict and they wore sports jerseys so I got an impression of thuggery. Really bad lighting, and awkward delivery by the actors - British accents. Cheapest possible production values used.

SO it turns out that the people I didnt recognise were not in fact thugs or heroin addicts, but football players (explains why I didnt recognise them).

Fail on Aon - not only will there be people like me who fail to recognise the players, not know what team they play for, and not have a clue of the significance of that team, but they have managed to make these three athletes look like theyve just been grabbed from round the back of the local methadone clinic, lit them so badly that they have yellow pallors, and taken a completely awkward delivery of lines as the final cut. If youre gonna pay these guys money to appear, why put them in the absolute worst production possible?

Truly awful.

Fail on Aon - not only will there be people like me who fail to recognise the players, not know what team they play for, and not have a clue of the significance of that team

In fairness, there will be very very very few people who don't know who those players are

Maybe you're not the target audience!

In fairness, there will be very very very few people who don't know who those players are

Maybe you're not the target audience!

My husband made the same argument, even though he himself did not know who they were - although he recognised that they were footballers.

But I observe that I know many people who would not have had a clue. I disagree that it is very very few. I think its a reasonable number. Most of my girlfriends wouldnt have a clue.

Its interesting that people who would know, would assume its only a tiny amount who wouldnt know. That must be the same assumption that the advertisers worked on. Yet there are many people like me for whom football is totally below the radar.

As far as I can recall, one of the players is Wayne Rooney. I would be willing to guess that 99% of the Irish adult population could recognise Wayne Rooney (or Michael Owen or Rio Ferdinand or any other extremely high profile Premiership footballer, especially one that plays for Manchester United)

Actually I dont think Wayne Rooney was in the ad, because I might have recognised him as I know who his wife is.

I have heard the name Michael Owen, but wouldnt know what he looks like, or who he plays for, and honestly, I thought Rio Ferdinand was the name of a team.

I dont know what a premiership is. And even if Id recognised Wayne Rooney I wouldnt have know what team he played for.

Id love to see stats on it. Id equally be willing to bet that less than 80% of the Irish adult population know these things. Remember that the Irish adult population comprises of young women 18+ and old dears 60+. Some men are not interested in football either - Im married to one, and not many of his friends are interested either.

Outside of Dublin there is a huge interest in the GAA - but less so in the football (or at least, thats what my 'country' friends tell me).

I dont deny a majority of adults would know about footballers, but I doubt its anywhere near 99%.

I had some problems recognising the players myself.

There's Michael Owen who is too injured to play football , Ryan Giggs who is too old ( you may recognise Mr. Gigg's wife as well - unfortunately Mr. Gigg's seems to have difficulty differentiating between her & his brother's wife ! )& our own Darren Gibson who is unable to play :D

The ad is truly dreadful & I can only imagine that the lighting on set was provided by a Liverpool fan.

Id love to see stats on it. Id equally be willing to bet that less than 80% of the Irish adult population know these things. Remember that the Irish adult population comprises of young women 18+ and old dears 60+. Some men are not interested in football either - Im married to one, and not many of his friends are interested either.

Outside of Dublin there is a huge interest in the GAA - but less so in the football (or at least, thats what my 'country' friends tell me).

You'd lose that bet.
GAA is quite popular again in dublin clubs and has been on the increase over the last 5+ years. Hurling suffered a lot but after some good investment at club level and good senior management they are now a good side. Hurling and football popularity among your 'country' friends can depend on the parish and county they came from and their personal level of interest. They obviously havent much.

As it is observation day; Some of my 'Dublin' friends tell me they spent their school days high on cocaine. I'd bet thats the case then for 80% of Dubliners of school going age.

You didnt recognise the footballers in the ad so you've deemed the ad a failure?? I dont recognise half the fake tan plastered faces splashed across most of the womens magazines or make-up/shampoo etc. etc. ads on telly yet I know that they have selected a target audience and selected models to suit.

Just because you saw a sports star wearing sports attire and with a British accent you saw thuggery/drug abuse. Going along those lines,every womens magazine should be taken off the shelves for advocating prostitution.

Just because you saw a sports star wearing sports attire and with a British accent you saw thuggery/drug abuse. Going along those lines,every womens magazine should be taken off the shelves for advocating prostitution.

Quote of the day - LOL!

Wow - way to miss any points I made.

You'd lose that bet.

Subjective opinion, I disagree. My granny wouldnt know who they are either. Nor would most of my girlfriends.

GAA is quite popular again in dublin clubs and has been on the increase over the last 5+ years. Hurling suffered a lot but after some good investment at club level and good senior management they are now a good side. Hurling and football popularity among your 'country' friends can depend on the parish and county they came from and their personal level of interest. They obviously havent much.

Never said the Dubs werent into the GAA. How many farmers wives do you think are into football?

As it is observation day; Some of my 'Dublin' friends tell me they spent their school days high on cocaine. I'd bet thats the case then for 80% of Dubliners of school going age.

I was simply countering someone elses bet on 99%.

You didnt recognise the footballers in the ad so you've deemed the ad a failure?? I dont recognise half the fake tan plastered faces splashed across most of the womens magazines or make-up/shampoo etc. etc. ads on telly yet I know that they have selected a target audience and selected models to suit.

It would appear I am a part of Aons target audience though, they sell household insurance, which I buy. I had a call from them just 2 days ago. Im quite sure Im not the only person disinterested in football who buys insurance from them.

Besides which - thats not the only reason I deemed it a failure. Bad lighting, cheap production costs.

Again, you missed the point completely. I saw a badly lit individual who looked like a heroin addict because of the lighting. I heard badly delivered lines that brought to mind a lack of education and the look of drug use plus the bad delivery coupled with some kind of sports jersey I thought it could be one of these football hooligans we read about in the news.

So bad lighting, bad delivery, cheap production values coupled with a complete lack of recognition of who these people were, connotations of heroin addiction and shiny sports tops.

Nothing to do with them being sports stars - I didnt know they were sports stars.

Wow - way to miss any points I made.
No I gathered everyone of them. Some were way off.
Subjective opinion, I disagree. My granny wouldn’t know who they are either. Nor would most of my girlfriends.
Well then I guess nobody would know them.
Subjective opinion of your own. Are your granny and girlfriends really an accurate representation of the current demographic? It’s a giant leap of the imagination.
Never said the Dubs weren’t into the GAA.

You stated that outside of Dublin there was huge interest in it. You did not reflect the large scale interest there is within Dublin; I would go as far to say you wrote it as a sport only taken up outside of Dublin.
How many farmers wives do you think are into football?

Quite a lot. In any case, even if they weren’t they’d recognise Rooney due to football fame or his football fame craving wife that writes columns on overcoming life’s troubles.
I was simply countering someone elses bet on 99%.
You stated that only 20% of Irish people would know who Wayne Rooney and Manchester United. They are known around the world, some of the biggest names in the sport. They are as famous in the far-east and Africa as in the east midlands of England. Especially now the European championships are on. Just because football is “below your radar” doesn’t mean people would not recognise key players and teams. I’ve no interest in athletics yet I’d recognise plenty of the world’s athletes
It would appear I am a part of Aons target audience though, they sell household insurance, which I buy. I had a call from them just 2 days ago.

So the only people who purchase household insurance are in the late thirties to forties bracket. People buy household insurance across a large spectrum of ages. You weren’t the target audience for this advert. Maybe they realised they didn’t not have many customers from a certain group and targeted them directly. The fact that you got a call from them is a mere coincidence – unless you think they are spying on this thread.
Im quite sure Im not the only person disinterested in football who buys insurance from them.
We’d be quickly sick of looking at the same people if they had to use they had to use the same personalities that people from their twenties through to their eighties recognised. Thankfully advertisers don’t do this.
Besides which - thats not the only reason I deemed it a failure. Bad lighting, cheap production costs.
How do you know the production costs? Having leading premiership footballers appear on an ad would not be cheap.
Again, you missed the point completely. I saw a badly lit individual who looked like a heroin addict because of the lighting. I heard badly delivered lines that brought to mind a lack of education and the look of drug use plus the bad delivery coupled with some kind of sports jersey I thought it could be one of these football hooligans we read about in the news.
I must re-evaluate those junky types I see then. Apparently those dozed-off, scrawny slack jawed, hollow eyed, pock marked folk that frequent many a back alley are not the drug users, it those fit-as-a-fiddle types, exercising all the time. I should have known, having those muscle physiques and the constant hyperactivity chasing a ball around for ninety minutes a week.
So bad lighting, bad delivery, cheap production values coupled with a complete lack of recognition of who these people were, connotations of heroin addiction and shiny sports tops.
Bad delivery – It’s very rare you find athletes who can perform under camera lights as well as they perform under floodlights; Maybe you or I wouldn’t? It is very difficult, especially with adverts as they are not allowed to be themselves. So shiny sports tops and bad delivery combine to make them drug abusers? Next time Landsdowne road is filled, whipped down there with a camera and make every one of those jersey wearing junkies perform in front of it. If it’s bad delivery then you be sure to contact the authorities, I’d wager you’d catch thousands of the feckers.
Nothing to do with them being sports stars - I didnt know they were sports stars.
So you deemed them junkies. Welcome to modern Ireland, we’re fierce welcoming. (unless you look and sound different. Terms and conditions may apply)

You stated that only 20% of Irish people would know who Wayne Rooney and Manchester United.

Whoops - I did make a typo - I meant that around 80% of adults would recognise them, not 99%

I am aware of production values through close ties to the business, the production costs on that ad ARE cheap - my point being, why use expensive people if you are going to use them in a cheap ad?

dozed-off, scrawny slack jawed, hollow eyed, pock marked folk

Eh, thats the point Im making, thats what they look like in the ad - due to bad lighting and cheap production values. Again - I didnt know they were fit as fiddle types, they certainly dont look it in the ad in question, I had no idea they ran around after a ball etc...etc...

Again bullbars, youre missing the point. I do concede I typo'd the 80%.

Have you even seen the ad? I mean seriously, its dreadful!

the yoddling ad by some insurance company. I start of listening to Newstalk in the mornning and i switch as soon as that ad comes on and switch back when i hear it again

the yoddling ad by some insurance company. I start of listening to Newstalk in the mornning and i switch as soon as that ad comes on and switch back when i hear it again

God I absolutely despise that stupid ad,how the hell did that get signed off on?Think about it,someone actually got paid to write that...its utterly ridiculous.

Back