Adjoining property river bank erosion

Wandering_Dazed

Hi All,
I have a situation that I'd be keen on any advice AAM has. (Please let me know if there is a better forum or more info needed)

So my PPR backs onto a river bank (more like a stream really but water levels rise dramatically during heavy rain), my property boundary does not include circa 5 feet of the river bank. In the middle of the river bank outside of my property boundary is a elderly conifer. I've attached a Land Direct image which may help.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/ShB3CTGQbjuwoY4o8

Over the years the course of the river has changed and has eroded a lot of the prior river bank at the back of my boundary. After the recent storms the tree outside of my perimeter fence has started to lean over the river and has caused my perimeter fence/ground to slant towards the river. Obviously steps need to be taken to stop the tree and my fence/garden collapsing into the river.

Questions I have are:
  1. As the tree and river bank are not on my property, I need to contact the landowner. (I do not know who the land owner is the two adjoining lots are effectively commercial with rented out businesses) Any suggestions on how to contact the landowner?
  2. Is Landdirect.ie accurate in terms of boundaries or should I check somewhere else?
  3. I was thinking of contacting the local council as the current situation could lead to the river becoming blocked and presenting a flood situation for mine and other properties up stream. (Let alone a potential safety hazard on my property for children/pets etc) Is this a valid step?
  4. As I am not an expert at all in this area, if I was to engage with a professional to assess the situation who would that be? i.e. Landscaper, tree surgeon etc
Let me know what advice/thoughts you all have. TY!

1. From the screenshot it looks as though the landowner on the opposite bank is also the landowner of your side of the watercourse. The red dotted pattern indicates that their property is registered with the Land Registry. Next step is to pay the €5 for the folio details on landdirect.ie and see if that gives you a lead on the landowner.

2. The Land Registry map includes a disclaimer regarding exact boundaries but in this case it looks clear that the landowner on the opposite bank on both banks of the watercourse.

3. Definitely highlight the issue to the Council.

Longer term it could be work getting the end of your property reinforced either through natural (e.g. willow) or engineered (e.g. rock armour) means.

Back