Adding to lease - Tenants liable for future taxes

irishbogger

Folks,
I would be interested in your opinion on the following:

1) Should a property tax be introduced, do you think it will be the norm that this cost will be passed on to the tenants? Or absorbed by the Landlord?

2) If passed onto the tenants, would it be the norm that a rent increase will be in introduced (and said so in the lease), or that the tenants will pay it directly?

I ask because i'm about to renew a lease for my tenants. It's only 6 months so not much to worry about, but i'm worried that if a new property tax is introduced in January (worst case scenario) and must be paid immediately (I know, I know... but think worst case scenario) that I could get stung for the tax as I did not state anywhere in the lease that tenants are liable for taxes

I would appreciate any feedback on the matter

Ultimately if the tax is not paid, revenue will persue the landlord as he is the owner. So you can put this into a clause but if the tenant digs in and does not pay you will be the one prosecuted. I suppose your best bet might be to add a clause that you can deduct such taxes from their deposit on termination.

Back