Adamstown,Citywest or Celbridge

I am originally from Tallaght (I know City West very well) have lived in Lucan (new development) and moved to Celbridge. I was very surprised to see that the Duplex in Celbridge was the most expensive of the 3 ......

There are two points to consider imo ..

(1) In my experience (albeit limited) the first house you buy is usually not the one you will stay in forever and a duplex is not the type of house I would buy if I intended having a family. Therefor I would imagine that in this poster's case her daughter is a 1st time buyer (I am assuming) and will in all likelihood end up moving again anyway - we did.

(2) Re location Celbridge is a lovely place and we have settled in happily after about a year of thinking we made a huge mistake! The one serious drawback is the lack of amenities - there are no public parks that I am aware of in Celbridge other than Castletown House (yes Donedea is lovely but it's hardly on your doorstep). Having moved from Lucan where there was a lovely green area/mini park at the end of every estate it was a bit of a shock. As far as I am aware the schools are by and large over subscribed but I can't comment on this as I have no children.

To my mind Citywest does provide a better scope for parks, transport, shops and general amenities although traffic can be an issue. I have been to Adamstown and viewed it with some trepidation as I felt it was very enclosed with a lot of high rise buildings which left me feeling a little suffocated. as pther posters have pointed out a lot of the plans for Adamstown are just that "plans" which can be altered or scrapped at any stage. The train line runs from Sallins and most trains are usually full by the time they hit Hazelhatch.

At the end of the day if this poster's daughter is a first time buyer than I think location and future investment value would be the criteria I would use when looking to buy. Other amenities can take second place as your needs will change according to your circumstances anyway.

To my mind Citywest does provide a better scope for parks, transport, shops and general amenities although traffic can be an issue.

I presume you mean better parks, amenities transport than Celbridge rather than Lucan/Adamstown?

Citywest has no centre or heart.

Hi., It depends what your daughter needs in terms of amenities/services.
I live here in Citywest, bought a house here 15 months ago.
It is true there are few amenities here at present, but The new Cityewest shopping Cente is to open later this year. The new Luas Station will be located opposite there. I am in my 20's so schools are not on my checklist (yet), but there are schools nearby - Saggart, Rathcoole, Tallaght.

If your daughter drives to work, Citywest is fine. I work in Sandyford which takes me about 30 minutes in morning. A drive to the Citycentre would certainly be longer, but i would expect it to beat a trek from Adamstown or Cellbridge. At least you dont have the N4 to contend with.
In the short to medium term, Ithink Citywest will be far more accessible to the city than Cellbridge or Adamstown as:
(a) Had a good bus service
(b) The Tallaght Luas to City Centre is a 10 minute drive away
(c) The Luas extension to Citywest is on the way and will be within 10 minutes walking distance of any housing developent in Citywest.

True there are big plans for Adamstown, and Cellbridge is an established residential area but at the end of the day Cellbridge/Adamstown are more Kildare than Dublin! I think the train service is overhype'd as it only goes to Hueston Station.. you are still faced with getting a bus ot Luas at Hueston if you are heading into the City Centre..

I think adamstown will be a super spot when it is finished. Obviously buying there is a long term project, you are not going to make your money back over night but in the long term when the develpment as a whole is complete it will be a super area to live.

As regards to Citywest, answer me this why would someone like to live amoungst a business park which resembles a ghost town at the weekend and after 7.30pm in the evening?

Also note the new train station in Adamstown is opening in April, 15 mins max to heuston. Irish rail are also going to be putting on more trains to cater for 8,000 extra people per day. There is also a bus service that is running at the moment which runs to Baggot Street. This means commuters working both in the north and southside of the city are catered for.

If it were my daughter looking to buy for the first time I would definatly recommend Adamstown!!!

Best of Luck :)

(b) The Tallaght Luas to City Centre is a 10 minute drive away
(c) The Luas extension to Citywest is on the way and will be within 10 minutes walking distance of any housing developent in Citywest.

True there are big plans for Adamstown, and Cellbridge is an established residential area but at the end of the day Cellbridge/Adamstown are more Kildare than Dublin! I think the train service is overhype'd as it only goes to Hueston Station.. you are still faced with getting a bus ot Luas at Hueston if you are heading into the City Centre..

I get the train in from Celbridge to Dublin every morning. It takes me just under 30 mins to get to O'Connell Street.
How long will the Luas from Citywest take? An hour? more?

Back