Actual Cost to recover money through courts

A99

I am considering taking legal action to recover approx 30K

It is very straighforward dispute with a signed contract, receipt of payments, expert report saying contract / services not supplied. Other party hasnt disputed my experts report.

I got a qoute of approx 10k (total cost) from a solicitor. If I was successful my costs would hopeful be covered but I would like to enquire from any legal people if this seems reasonable.

i.e. spend 10k to recover 30k ???

Thanks in advance

Why will the debtor not pay you? Is it because they do not have the money? If that is the case, then, frankly, there is no point in issuing the proceedings.

Are they likely to survive in business and be damaged by a judgment? If yes, then you have a good chance of recovering your money and a sizeable proportion of your costs.

If the debt is unarguable, they may not defend and you may get an undefended judgment. If they don't defend , you have to ask again, is it because they don't have the funds?

If they are going to defend the proceedings and go through a Court hearing then 10K is pretty much the actual cost of legal representation.

mf

MF1 thanks for your reply. Just wondering what exactly does this process mean ??

" ... you may get an undefended judgment..."

If after issuing proceedings the other party didnt respond, or attempt to defend the case then would I still proceed right up to the hearing date, or if it was clear they werent going to defend the case then would there be another legal route which would be less expensive for me, e.g. there would be less work involved for my solicitor / barrister, or would I need a barrister at all ?

Thanks inadvance

If the other party does not defend, than rather than a full hearing, there will be a shorter , quicker route - a Motion for Judgment in Default of Appearance. It would be usual to use Counsel. It should be substantially cheaper than the costs of a full hearing.

mf

Back