Accounts software package

berryblue

I have the pleasure of keeping the books for two companies, one has V.A.T. the other does'nt. I have been manually keeping the records but now it has come to the time where there is not enough time to do all this by hand. I did a course about 5 years ago on Quick-books and another on sort my books, would any of you have any advice or preference on these two. Both companies are small business both with two employees.

Many thanks

I can recommend Quickbooks, however I have never used Sort My Books so can't compare. QB is very easy to use and learn. My one issue with QB is that it does not have a batch entry on the cheaper versions.

There are some very interesting new online accounting packages available. Wave is a free one and Xero, which I use, is paid for. I only opted for Xero over Wave as it had the multiple currency option which I needed. Otherwise I would have been opting for Wave. Can't see the point in paying for accounting packages when free ones with better functionality exist. I used Sage, Quickbooks, Big Red Book, to name but a few in the past. Each has been cumbersome and outdated in comparison to Xero. The online systems are constantly updated. Some people have security worries over online housed accounts, but I think it is the way forward. Both offer comprehensive options and relatively easy to use systems. The handy thing is the Co you are doing work for can log in and upload things like invoices, expenses claims, without having to go through you. Also if an accountant needs to look at something, they too can log on. Also you can access your accounts from anywhere, not just your computer. Might be worth considering.

Personally I would recommend QuickBooks, specifically go for QuickBooks Online if you are making a choice between QB and SortMyBooks. The proper selection is on your current requirements as well as the expertise you have on these software.

Back