accounting for motor expenses as a sole trader

olivia

I am a recently registered sole trader and use my private car for travelling (approx 25% of my total milage for 2009, I anticiapte). How do I account for this in my return to revenue? What documentation/proof must I be able to produce if required to support the claim? i know I can only claim the actual cost incurred and not civil service rates.

You need to prepare a full set of accounts in order to complete your tax return.

You should keep details of all of your car expenses, including Repairs, petrol or diesel, road tax, NCT, etc. you should then apportion these costs based on your actual mileage.

You therefore need to keep a log of your mileage for inspection by the Revenue if requested.

You can also claim Capital Allowances on the value of your car (again apportioned).

You can also claim Capital Allowances on the value of your car (again apportioned).

And bear in mind that there have been major changes to computation of Capital Allowances in relation to vehicles purchased since 01/07/ 2008 being now categorised by CO2 emissions. ( Section 380L TCA 1997 )

Has anyone out there just used Civil Service mileage rates and if so how did you get on if audited?

Only employees can use the Civil Service mileage rates.

Self-employed must claim the relevant proportion of car costs.

I'm pretty sure you can claim milage rates once they don't exceed Civil Service milage rates .

I'm pretty sure you can claim milage rates once they don't exceed Civil Service milage rates .

A Sole Trader cannot claim CS rates. They must claim actual expenses incurred. If they charge out mileage as part of fees using CS rates then those rates become part of income against which the sole-trader may claim actual costs.

If you are a proprietary director of a company (and paying PAYE), can you claim CS rates from the company?

For your info - the Civil Service rates recently dropped.
Make sure you are paying at or below these revised amounts.

Back