Accountant VAT / RTD Help Please

wexbiz

Hi

If I registered for VAT during the last financial year do I include details of sales prior to VAT registration from the same financial year ? So I only started charging VAT in May 23, my RTD is due now - do I include the sales and purchases figures for Jan-April 23 where no VAT was charged / claimed back or do I only include figures from my first VAT return onwards?

Thank you in advance.

Anything you file under your VAT registration should only include details for the period that you are accountable for VAT, i.e. only from the date of your registration.

Anything you file under your VAT registration should only include details for the period that you are accountable for VAT, i.e. only from the date of your registration.
You should not be charging VAT if not VAT registered, but you can be charged VAT where applicable.
You should only include VAT on Sales and Purchases from the point of registering as torblenam says. Trying to squeeze in any purchase invoices prior to the registration date would not be a good idea.

Back