accountant missed annual return date

R

redhead

Hi,
My accountant missed my annual return date this year. They just sent me an audit report and let me know that they had missed it, this was just last week they told me this. They apologise and say it will have no impact on me or the company (I'm a director). Is this correct? I've always been happy with them before (been with him three years), just want to make sure it doesn't affect me and just want to make sure they are advising me correctly. I'm finding it odd that they have only just told me months later that they missed it? I sent accounts in and around that time so I thought it was all in order. Any help/advise much appreciated.
Thanks,
Redhead

was your company previously audit exempt? if so the audit exemption is lost for the year late & following yr. (although if proposed new companies act ever gets into legislation that will change) also the company will be incurring late filing fees, if its your accountants fault deadline was missed ask for a reduction in fees for this.

was your company previously audit exempt? if so the audit exemption is lost for the year late & following yr. (although if proposed new companies act ever gets into legislation that will change) also the company will be incurring late filing fees, if its your accountants fault deadline was missed ask for a reduction in fees for this.

They may try to increase the fee if it was audit exempt as there is more work involved, hopefully they won't, but watch out for this.

If your accountant missed that what else are they missing?My previous accountant missed our ARD and apologized , said it didn't really matter and I let him off with it.4 years later I got a tax audit and it turned out that he had been missing quite a few things over the years.Things such as forgetting to account for the vat on sale of a leased vehicle,incorrectly calculating paye etc all things that a day to day business owner leaves in the hands of their accountant.He then postponed the audit twice while he scrambled to get figures together.
The end result was the revenue told me it was my responsibility , not my accountants and I got fined extra over the amounts due.If you have any doubts with your accountant talk to them straight away and move accountants if you need to.

Back