Accountant - ICPA or not?

popstar

HI,
I'm looking into hiring an accountant. Should the firm be a Member Firm of the Insitute of Certified Public Accountants in Ireland or can an accountancy firm be reputable without this membership?
thanks!

I wouldn't base a decision solely on membership of one or other of the recognised professional bodies. Personal recommendations from existing clients are useful.

Membership of one of the recognised accountancy bodies should be some comfort to a person seeking an accountant as it brings
- professional qualification
- insured (mandatory for membership in practice )
- regulation
- up to date skills through mandatory Continuing Professional Education (CPE/CPD)
A member of ANY of the recognised bodies should be equally qualified to act.
As Padriagb said however, personal recommendations are the best route usually to the person you need.

Some links to some of the accountancy bodies recognised in Ireland :-
http://www.icai.ie/
[broken link removed]
http://cpaireland.ie/

Many thanks for the links.
Would anyone have a recommendation for an accountancy/bookkeeping firm in the mid-west region? I use Sage fairly well but would like to outsource the day-to-day book-keeping. I also need Payroll/CRO filing help. Thanks again.

I can't help with recommendation as am down near The Real Capital :), but you might just need bookkeeping function now and while some accountants have bookkeeping services you might find more competitive rates in bookkeeping /Payroll providers. Whatever you do make sure that the platform your books are on is compatible with your own office, your bookkeepers and any accountants/auditors you use, cheaper all round.

Have you weighed up the cost/benefits of employing someone part-time to do your book-keeping and payroll vs outsourcing?

I had to recruit someone nearly 6 months ago for a similar role and the amount of interest for what was a fairly modest salary was high.

By all means use a professional firm for annual returns etc. but for more basic tasks, as Graham_07 points out, there may be better value elsewhere.

This could be a cheaper solution - taking a book-keeper on part-time. Even though it would be good to just hand everything over to one firm too. CCovich - would you mind me asking what the 'modest salary' might be for a part-time book-keeper in the mid-west?

Back