Accompany husband to driving test?

Sarah

Hi Al,

My hustanb is due to sit his driving test in Sept on a wed morning. Just wondering with the new rules, should he have a fully licenced driver with him in case he dosent pass the test. I have my full licence so do i have to drive him to the test centre and if in the event he dosent pass then drive him home? Will they say anything if he drives home himself?

THanks

Sarah

should he have a fully licenced driver with him in case he dosent pass the test.
Shouldn't this be the case all the time until he passes his test?! The test centre probably won't say anything if he fails but drives off but as far as I know he would be breaking the law.

It's been recommended not to drive home yourself even if you do pass the test.

... I have my full licence so do i have to drive him to the test centre and if in the event he dosent pass then drive him home? Will they say anything if he drives home himself? ...
Its a bit worrying that as a qualified driver and supervisor of a learner's permit holder you don't know the answer yourself. :eek:

It has been said on the Ray D'arcy show that you will fail your test if you turn up with your car to do your test unaccompanied. I'm not sure how true this is? Either way it might be best to accompany him to be sure.

It has been said on the Ray D'arcy show that you will fail your test if you turn up with your car to do your test unaccompanied. I'm not sure how true this is? Either way it might be best to accompany him to be sure.

I would be inclined to think this is untrue. How would they know? I accompanied my partner for his test on 2 different occasions, in 2 different places. Both times the car was parked outside and he had to go into a building and tell them he was there, wait for tester. This removes the tester completely from knowing if you are accompanied or not. I waited with a number of other people in the waiting room - there was no way of the tester knowing he was accompanied or not. After the test you go back into the building and find out pass or fail - the tester does not come back out to the carpark with you - its not their responsibility to enforce the law.

I passed my own having turned up unaccompanied. That was a number of years ago now though and may not be relevant.

Who recommended that?

As far as im aware you are still classed as a provisional driver until you actually receive your full driving licence. The cert of competency does not automatically mean you are a qualified driver.

As far as im aware you are still classed as a provisional driver until you actually receive your full driving licence. The cert of competency does not automatically mean you are a qualified driver.

That would be my understanding of it too - though it would be very harsh to penalise someone who had just passed the test for driving unaccompanied.

Ah - of course. Good point.
That would be my understanding of it too - though it would be very harsh to penalise someone who had just passed the test for driving unaccompanied.
How far should such rules be bent do you think?

its has to be untrue - if you head off for a coffee while it is going on and the tester cannot see you?

its has to be untrue - if you head off for a coffee while it is going on and the tester cannot see you?

Possibly Pennypitstop, as I said

I'm not sure how true this is?

I just picked it up while they were discussing one of their upcoming tests as I am going to be sitting my own test soon and I know I wouldn't take the risk of failing over something so basic. After all if your there on your own with car and no one else around it's not going to take a genius to figure out that you drove there in it on your own. This could be completely untrue. However I will be accompanied. Each to their own!

So a bit of work by a civil servant makes you qualified ? Now that's bureaucracy at it's nit-picking best !

How far should such rules be bent do you think?

Well there is bending rules and bending rules. .......

If you fail you have to be accompanied on the drive home .... but how do you know you're going to pass? so arrangements would need to be made

But if you had just passed and were nicked for driving unaccompanied then that would be very harsh

Now that they are getting strict on such things there is a garda outside my local testing centre waiting to nab all those without licenses. It helps to fill his weekly quota of tickets.

The law is not about being qualified to drive, it's about holding a full licence. On passing the driving test, a certificate of competency entitles you to apply for a full licence. But until you have it in your hot little hand, legally, you have to be accompanied by a driver who does hold one.

So a bit of work by a civil servant makes you qualified ? Now that's bureaucracy at it's nit-picking best !
Bear in mind that there are many thousands of unqualified drivers who hold full licences, thanks to the late .
Now that's demagogy at it's back-scratching best! :)

Back