Accommodation lost with job transfer to another county. no compensation for loss.

matt-f

I am being transferred to another outlet of the company that I work for.

In my present situation I have accommodation with my work that is part of my salary and is written in my contract.

I have been told now that i will have to find new accommodation and that the company are now not willing to pay for it, I will also not get any pay increase towards the cost of my new accommodation.

Where do i stand in this situation? Many thanks in advance for your replies.

Re: Accomadation lost with job transfer

What does your contract say about assignment to other areas of the company? Do you have to consent? Did you?

A company cannot unilaterally change the terms and conditions of your contract..in general. Your length of tenure may also come into play as you have very few rights if you're in your first 12 months with the company.

contract states you can be moved to any one of their branches any time, their in 3 branches within the company. Don,t mind going to other branch, problem being don't drive public transport not an option. two half years with company.

What is the distanceinvolved - are you moving town/city/county/country ?

If the accomodation is written into your contract, they can't just take it away. However, even if you are legally entitled to it, it may be very difficult or impossible to enforce that right.

If you are a trade union member, contact your union for advice. If not, contact NERA.

Hi, I'm interested in your reply Complainer, if one is legally entitled to something how can it not be legally enforced? What is the point in having something written into a contract if it means nothing? If the boot was on the other foot and Matt-F was in breach of contract would the employer not enforce it? In this case his contract would not be worth the paper it's written on.

The problem may be that regardless of what is in the contract, an employee has effectively no rights in the first 12 months of employment, and can be dismissed for no reason. Even after the 12 months, it is not that hard for an employer to come up with a reason to fire the employee or make him redundant.

The same works the other way round too. If an employee decides to bugger off before he works his notice period, there is very little that an employer can do about it.

Back