accommodation in manhattan

N

noreen

hi.
there is three of us going to manhattan new york for five nights in february, can anyone recommend an affordable place to stay, we are not that fussy, we really are just looking for a clean bed and a clean room.thanks

Re: accomodation in manhattan

the belvedere hotel, very central and lovely rooms not too fussy but clean and nice after a hrd days shopping. very near subway and great breakfast at olympic diner around the corner

Bedford Hotel on 42st. 2mins walk from grand central and less than 10 mins to time sq. Massive rooms and spotless.

Pensylvania Hotel. Very Central and reasonable. Plus, practically next door to Macys!

Pensylvania Hotel. Very Central and reasonable. Plus, practically next door to Macys!

As the other post says, check out TA before you even contemplate booking this hotel. Most of the recent reviews are atrocious!

TA not always reliable. I'm just back from NYC and the hotel we booked had great reviews on TA but when we got there it was filthy and there were massive cockroaches in our room, on the stairs etc. We checked out immediately and got a room in the pensylvania and although basic, was clean, central and didn't cost the earth.

Name it and shame it RedStix! I'm just hoping it's not the one I'm booked into next month!!

the belvedere hotel, very central and lovely
Yup. Stayed there in September. You'll pay about $300 a night for a double room.
The only downside was the Fire Trucks leaving the nearby station with sirens blaring throughout the night. Hotel windows were not the best for sound proofing.
I'd go again but I'd get a room at the front of the hotel. The back faces the street which "New Yorks Bravest" use.

We booked an apartment in Upper Eastside, Manhattan using www.vrbo.com
Was really central price was reasonable enough compared to hotels and you have all the facilities you need when you just want to chill, stay in, or whatever... I know it's NYC but sometimes it's nice to just veg after a day on the go!
All towels, kitchenware, sundries like tea/coffee etc. were provided.

S

I stayed in the Salisbury Hotel last Feb and got a great deal on it by New York standards. It is an apartment style hotel on 57th St. It was ideally situated for 2 subway stations, 5-10 from Time Square, Carnegie Hall was across the road and central park was about 5 minutes away. I even got breakfast free.

I just checked Hotels.com and if you are staying 4+ nights you get the 4th night free totalling €485. I used 22 Feb - 26 Feb as the dates. It's no. 42 out of 338 on trip advisors list of hotels if you want to check it out.

the belvedere hotel, very central and lovely rooms not too fussy but clean and nice after a hrd days shopping. very near subway and great breakfast at olympic diner around the corner

Second that, stayed in Belverdere earlier this year, so central, clean, has a fridge/sink etc in rooms which is handy. Olympic diner good for breakfast too and a fab cupcake place round the corner and near pubs/restaurants!
Lovely 'Irish' pub around the corner with good food!

We stayed here last August; lovely rooms, straight across the road from the Manhattan Diner and a block from Central Park.

We stayed in Best Western President in 48th St, about 2 blocks from Rockefeller centre, great location. Had all we needed. At no notice at all we booked a junior suite which slept 3 comfortably and cost on average $ 400 per night (divided between 3) so imagine you could get a much better deal booking in advance of Feb. Radio City Apartments seem to get good press and are a great locaton too.

I second the subletting suggestion, did this four years ago so can't remember where we found it but we had a large studio apartment for I think it was $90 a night, in Manhattan, way up the top but right beside a subway station so very handy.

I am a huge fan of radio city apartments in Manhattan - right in the middle of things, clean, well equipped and great value www.radiocityapartments.com Shortly going to be my third stay there and can't fault it - check it out on tripadvisor.

I stayed in the Novotel in Times Square and I wouldn't reccomend it. Nice lobby but rooms were like something from the 80s, the staff were also incredibly rude and slow. I wouldn't stay there again.

I stayed in the Park Central before and while it's not amazing, it was far better then the above.

thanks for all the replies i will be very busy deciding where to stay

Back