Accidentally exceeded permitted duty free alcohol limit

I was stopped once coming back from the States, but was ok on the limit, haven't chanced it subsequent to that.
One of my siblings was given a gift of a free TV from a US summer employer. Stopped in Shannon for the duties. So TV was left with them, a year later another sibling collected it from Shannon and brought it back to New York as a wedding gift. When I was a child I travelled out to the middle east and came back with a suitcase fully loaded with booze. As we were underage and under the care of Aer Lingus nobody batted an eye lid.

Those were the days. I moved on to Duty Paid fags and brought them in by the multiple cartoon full for my parent who paid me for them.

Well you could chance it and you know civil servants sometimes make mistakes. How much was the whiskey so we can work out the duty and penalties?
The excess item was a litre of Jamesons, €20 on the plane, €45.50 currently in Tesco, €38.00 with clubcard

Last edited:
The excess item was a litre of Jamesons, €20 on the plane, €45.50 currently in Tesco, €38.00 with clubcard
You have to pay customs duty and excise duty, this is from revenue

I cannot figure it out. Let us know if you can . AAM readers have always wanted to know how much tax they'd have to pay on a bottle of fine Irish whiskey bought at the bargain basement price of €20. If you'd drunk it before you got on the plane you wouldn't be in this mess now.

Coming back from the canaries years ago with my sister. Customs stopped her , she looked at me and said I think I may have too many cigarettes. Oh shoot. Customs chap opened her bag and there were zero cigarettes in it. Gone. Nicked by the baggage handlers. !

This really was accidental!

Party of 3 adults travelling from the UK to Ireland.
I know the limit is 1 litre of spirits per adult.
Bought two litres in LHR.
An additional 1 litre bottle was desired and it was agreed that we would buy the extra litre on the plane.
However we were all seated apart and as it turns, two people bought the additional litre.

So we managed to exit the airport with 4 litres.
Are we just lucky?
Or will I get a bill for the duty considering it is all traceable to the seats and booking made by me?
I work in customs, I'll DM you my address and you can send the additional litre to me. We'll call it quits.

On a recent flight from London into Cork, custom asked every single traveler if they purchased alcohol/tabaco and x-rayed multiple pieces of luggage (mine including and I had purchased nothing).

For travellers travelling between the U.K. and Ireland the tobacco allowance seems to be very low at 200 cigarettes or 1L spirits.

The Irish Revenue are only concerned with tobacco or spirits purchased in the U.K. airports/ferry and brought on a plane/ferry into Ireland. They want people to declare over the permitted allowance.

Had the cigarettes or tobacco been purchased in an Irish airport or plane and brought into the UK then this would be the sole concern of the U.K. Revenue and Customs ( HMRC) if the allowance was exceeded, so Duty free purchased in Irish airports or planes to UK should be of no concern to them as one is leaving the jurisdiction.
I just can't see Irish Customs writing out to OP over such a genuine error and hope the thought of this hasn't caused him undue anxiety. They would need access to sales records in the U.K. Duty Free which I don't see them having.

Last edited:
You do know that the Irish customs are tracking all Ryanair and Aer Lingus customers who have purchased over the limits in the Duty free. They do it not just with the seat number, but with the till receipts from the shops. But they are a bit slow on sending out the letters so keep an eye out for the postman. They do have a method for you to self declare, it's on their website. If you do that you'll avoid any fines and penalties in addition to the duty tax.

Customs are not able to do it with Irish Ferries yet but presumably they are working on it. Hope the whisky was good.
I doubt this is possible.

How do they know if you are travelling with others and bought collectively?

The cost of going through every purchase and then estimating fees and sending the demand would be multiples of anything they would get.

However, the airport shops and the airlines are restricting the volume you can buy. In Dublin they won't sell more than 800 cigarettes to you. Ryanair will only sell one box.

But spin to Germany, and once for personal use, buy as many as you like. (Subject to reasonable qty) Marlboro gold €7.80 (price current as of one hour ago )

I doubt this is possible.

How do they know if you are travelling with others and bought collectively?

The cost of going through every purchase and then estimating fees and sending the demand would be multiples of anything they would get.

However, the airport shops and the airlines are restricting the volume you can buy. In Dublin they won't sell more than 800 cigarettes to you. Ryanair will only sell one box.

But spin to Germany, and once for personal use, buy as many as you like. (Subject to reasonable qty) Marlboro gold €7.80 (price current as of one hour ago )
That's funny Dublin airport restricting purchases, it's not like there are many people heading to Magaluf or Crete are stocking up on fags.

The EU rule is you can buy as much as you want as long as it's for personal use. But I assume Dublin airport are within their rights to restrict quantities if they so wish.

Last edited:
That's funny Dublin airport restricting purchases, it's not like there are many people heading to Magaluf or Crete are stocking up on fags.

The EU rule is you can buy as much as you want as long as it's for personal use. But I assume Dublin airport are within their rights to restrict quantifies if they so wish.
Restricting duty free - so UK destinations.

Correction on Germany, pack of 56 Marlboro €20 - they love their cigs. That's about €7 a pack of 20 equivalent.

Restricting duty free - so UK destinations.

Correction on Germany, pack of 56 Marlboro €20 - they love their cigs. That's about €7 a pack of 20 equivalent.
Marlboro Red 20 are €9 in Berlin. I don't smoke but a friend living there told me.
How could Irish Customs see sales receipts of cigarettes or alcohol purchased in UK airports to send out letters if one exceeded limit as Bronte mentioned.
Purchases in Irish airports exceeding duty free limit would be none of Irish Customs business as leaving jurisdiction.

According to this journal.ie article shops do NOT record customers' personal data such as names when boarding passes are produced.

In fact for some non duty- free products you do not need to produce a boarding pass but it is still asked for.
You are facilitating the shops to reclaim VAT by doing so.
So enquire if its mandatory to produce boarding pass I.e. for duty free products if not, don't produce it. This should be advertised on prominent notices near the shops.

Last edited:
Back