Accidentally exceeded permitted duty free alcohol limit

AndroidMan

This really was accidental!

Party of 3 adults travelling from the UK to Ireland.
I know the limit is 1 litre of spirits per adult.
Bought two litres in LHR.
An additional 1 litre bottle was desired and it was agreed that we would buy the extra litre on the plane.
However we were all seated apart and as it turns, two people bought the additional litre.

So we managed to exit the airport with 4 litres.
Are we just lucky?
Or will I get a bill for the duty considering it is all traceable to the seats and booking made by me?

Or will I get a bill for the duty considering it is all traceable to the seats and booking made by me?
No. You left the airport without being challenged by customs.

Had you known in time, you could have entered the red lane at customs, declared the alcohol, and paid the duty. But it's too late now, other than to enjoy it!

I'm sure there will be no repercussions and you're worrying needlessly and obviously a very honest person, perhaps scrupulous...
I have a cousin. She travels to Barcelona every few months with her husband. She tells me both she and her husband bring back 20 cartons of cigarettes each ( I.e. 20 x 200 cigarettes). Revenue Custom say you are permitted to bring 4 but she says it's unlimited amount if for personal use inter- EU. They are both heavy smokers, they're millionaires but stingy with money. I told her she is bringing too much. What a waste of money even if only €5 a pack.

You can purchase any amount regardless of the limit imposed on where you are travelling to the onus is on you to declare etc. They give you the option to pay the extra if you are stopped or forfeit the items. If the quality suspected is for resale and not personal use then thats a different ball game I would think.

This really was accidental!

Party of 3 adults travelling from the UK to Ireland.
I know the limit is 1 litre of spirits per adult.
Bought two litres in LHR.
An additional 1 litre bottle was desired and it was agreed that we would buy the extra litre on the plane.
However we were all seated apart and as it turns, two people bought the additional litre.

So we managed to exit the airport with 4 litres.
Are we just lucky?
Just out of curiosity what age range are you? And was it your first time travelling?

Just out of curiosity what age range are you? And was it your first time travelling?
Not first time travellers and we are all aged between 40-60, white, Irish etc. Probably not in a category that would have raised any suspicions

I am just smiling reading this, you are very honest.
I pay no attention to these things, I buy what I want, if I get stopped on the way back I deal with it.
Perfumes and spirits only, no cigarettes.

Not first time travellers and we are all aged between 40-60, white, Irish etc. Probably not in a category that would have raised any suspicions
You do know that the Irish customs are tracking all Ryanair and Aer Lingus customers who have purchased over the limits in the Duty free. They do it not just with the seat number, but with the till receipts from the shops. But they are a bit slow on sending out the letters so keep an eye out for the postman. They do have a method for you to self declare, it's on their website. If you do that you'll avoid any fines and penalties in addition to the duty tax.

Customs are not able to do it with Irish Ferries yet but presumably they are working on it. Hope the whisky was good.

Last edited:
I am just smiling reading this, you are very honest.
I pay no attention to these things, I buy what I want, if I get stopped on the way back I deal with it.
Perfumes and spirits only, no cigarettes.
Haha, I have my moments.
None of the booze was even for me but I booked and paid for the flights and my concern is with scanning boarding passed in the airport at time of purchase as well as seat numbers being taken on the plane at time of purchase, it will all lead back to me and I will get a bill. But the general opinion above seems to be that I dont need to worry.

You do know that the Irish customs are tracking all Ryanair and Aer Lingus customers who have purchased over the limits in the Duty free. They do it not just with the seat number, but with the till receipts from the shops. But they are a bit slow on sending out the letters so keep an eye out for the postman. They do have a method for to self declare, it's on their website. If you do that you'll avoid any fines and penalties in addition to the duty tax.

Customs are not able to do it with Irish Ferries yet but presumably they are working on it. Hope the whisky was good.
This was exactly my concern. I will sit tight for now and see what happens.

You can always call customs on 01 738 3676 10.00 to 12.30 (Monday to Friday) and report yourself.

In the meantime, take extra care when you get those "customs due" text messages with links to weird web sites to pay, one might actually be real!

What happens if you are over the limit and stopped by customs?
Do you need to pay duty then on the lot?

This was exactly my concern. I will sit tight for now and see what happens.
Well you could chance it and you know civil servants sometimes make mistakes. How much was the whiskey so we can work out the duty and penalties?

What happens if you are over the limit and stopped by customs?
Do you need to pay duty then on the lot?
I think you just pay the vat due, honestly no idea.

I have been travelling abroad for 25 years and never once been stopped. Now that said not carrying excessive amounts, 4/5 bottles of perfume and 4/6 bottles of spirits between two people once a year, hardly going to cancel the Irish drink and beauty economy.

I pay all my taxes, tv licence, water charges (yeah I am one of those) and I donate to charity - defo not going to sit and worry about this one!

I think you just pay the vat due, honestly no idea.

I have been travelling abroad for 25 years and never once been stopped. Now that said not carrying excessive amounts, 4/5 bottles of perfume and 4/6 bottles of spirits between two people once a year, hardly going to cancel the Irish drink and beauty economy.

I pay all my taxes, tv licence, water charges (yeah I am one of those) and I donate to charity - defo not going to sit and worry about this one!
I was stopped once coming back from the States, but was ok on the limit, haven't chanced it subsequent to that.

Back