Accident query

Hans

My daughter was driving to work last week and at traffic lights someone crashed into the rear end of the car she brought it to a garage suggested by his insurers and he declared it a right off. She bought this 03 car less than a year ago for 7 grand and the insurance is now giving her 3.5K for the car I know cars have decreased in value but I cant find the same year and make of car and low mileage for anything like this money. I would like to know is the only option for me is to contact a solicitor as I feel this is daylight robbery. I am so annoyed about this as this time last week she had a perfectly good car that she loved and now has to accept this small amount and she did nothing wrong but stop at red traffic lights when he felt she could have kept going.

They used what they called an independent insurance assessor but my argument is it's not independent if the insurance company is paying for it.

I don't think it matters what the car is insured for.
The insurance company will give the 'book' value.

Nicola

I mean if the owner of the car insured the car for less than the amount they felt it was valued at, they wouldn't give higher anyway.

Say if the owner insured it for 3.5k, they'd only get 3.5k or less no matter what the car was valued at, say 7k

True.
Usually though there is very little difference in the cost of insurance between insuring a car for a lesser, and a few thousand euro greater amount (within reason, of course), from my experience.

The main issue in this sort of thing tends to be that someone thinks their car is worth a certain amount, the book price is less, and the customer isn't happy with what is offered (as per OP).

I'd be pretty annoyed with this offer too though

Nicola

Try finding out what the actual repair cost is, and whether it's a write-off because it can't be repaired, or because it's not economical to repair it. Bear in mind that it's the other party who is at fault in this case, so your daughter has a wider range of options to her than would be the case if she were at fault. Try asking the insurance company to replace the car with a similar age/mileage car.

Hans: Is this any use to you? (Taken from AA website)

To find how your claim will be settled, check your policy; this should define your entitlement. Generally, an offer will be made by your insurer based on your car's pre-incident market value. The insurance ombudsman has indicated in his 1994 report that the offer should reflect 'a replacement value in the market in which the policyholder intends to buy a replacement'.

It can therefore be helpful to send evidence, such as advertisements of similar cars, to your insurers if you are not happy with the cash offer to settle your claim. Not every insurer is subject to the Insurance Ombudsman.

http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/legal-advice/insurance-valuation.html

I have asked them to get me a similar car at the price they are offering but they declined. Suprise Suprise!!! They car was over valued when insured but they dont even use the book value now as they feel that is overvalueing cars. I am being very realistic and I do accept cars have come down but after alot of research I can't get a car the same price. They estemate that the car would cost 4K to repair but they refuse to do that too. It looks like i will have to involve a solicitor as they dont want to renegotiate. It is so frustrating and time consuming especially when it wasn't even her fault.

Thanks NicolaM but unfortunately it's not my insurer that will be paying and I dont know what their insurance policy includes. I will look up the Insurance Ombudsman though.

My insurance company wanted to write off my car in rear end accident. I was the one who got hit. A Muppet of an assessor in Waterford looked at the car and called it a write-off... No way...

So the other parties insurance company sent out their assessor and he wanted it repaired, so I got it repaired and also looked for a figure for the depreciation of the car after the accident.

If things don't go your way, and you lose out big time, then go the http://www.injuriesboard.ie/eng/ route.

Tell them you want the car repaired or replaced, and that you aren't prepared to accept their offer. The terms of the other person's policy aren't really relevant here. That applies to how his claim will be handled. In this case, your daughter is not at fualt.

I have told them this but they have refused so it looks like it is going to be a costly road for me involving solicitors. I certainly wont be recomending this insurance company to my friends!!

Will they give the OP's daughter a better quote for the car or something?! Perhaps I am misreading the whole situation.
As its the PIAB's web-site, I doubt it - maybe blutack is suggesting a personal injuries claim as an alternative to adequate compensation for the car?

Back