Access to Health Records

Sunny

Does anyone know what the situation is with regard to getting hold of medical records from a private hospital in the event of it closing down. My wife had a baby in Mount Carmel last year and I would like their records as there were complications and would like the next hospital to have access if we have another baby.

As far as I know, FOI legislation only applies to public hospitals. Can I get access through data protction legislation? I called the hospital and left a message so this might be a moot point. They might be more than happy to hand over records but just curious as to we stand.

I think that you are entitled to the medical records, or to be more exact, your wife is entitled to her records. I would be very surprised if Mount Carmel didn't have a process for dealing with queries like this. I'd say you'll get them no bother.

The OP is querying as Mt Carmel has been put into liquidation by NAMA. Nobody will be answering calls on same.

However, liquidator will now have data protection responsibility and once a buyer is found to take the hospital out of liquidation then you should be fine to recover your files

Can I get access through data protction legislation? I called the hospital and left a message so this might be a moot point. They might be more than happy to hand over records but just curious as to we stand.

Short answer: your wife can get access to her records through data protection request.

Slightly longer answer: In the case of medical files they may be withheld if there is reason to believe that their direct release could cause harm to the requestor and in this circumstance the hospital may only release the files to your nominated doctor who would go through the files with you.

Pragmatic answer: Seek the files first without resorting to data protection. However, bear in mind that an organisation that no longer exists is unlikely to be able to give you files ever, so if you have concerns then do not delay in whatever approach you use.

Sunny did you have any luck? I'm in the same position & getting no joy .

Sunny did you have any luck? I'm in the same position & getting no joy .

Finding them hard to get hold of by phone. They did send out a request form to get a copy under data protection and we filled that out and sent it back. Heard nothing yet though.

Back