ACA contract - can you get out halfway through?

ihatemyjob

ANy advice on how to get out of an ACA contract with only about year and a bit to go and transfer to another firm? In one of the big 4 firms and to say I hate it would be an understatement - get treated really badly paid unbeliveably badly and overall place is just not nice to work in therefore I want to change firms. Anyone got any advice on how to get contract signed off??

You could call the ICAI directly and ask them if it is possible maybe.

Are you sure you will be paid or treated any better in another Big 4 firm-the differences between each aren't massive.

Or will you settle for less money in a smaller firm?

Have you looked at transferring departments or asking for a secondment abroad within your current firm?

Hi

You can only transfer to another firm with the agreement of your principal.

Most people in the Big 4 firms feel that they are treated well and getting good experience. If you are not getting good experience, you should ask for it. If they refuse, you could approach the Institute for their support.

If you feel that strongly about your employer, it is possible that they feel the same about you. Have you got a Manager or Partner in the firm who could act as your mentor?

Brendan

hi guys - i know i am getting good experience but I m in a regional office and believe me even the smaller firms where I work are getting paid more. Dont really have a manager or partner can talk to cause its an office wide issue and we have all said it over and over again and after two years of fighting with them I think it s just time i really got out of there.

For the sake of a year/18 months is it worth the hassle?

Could you ask for a transfer to the Dublin office?

Have you found a local firm looking for part-qualified staff?

What kind of work are you doing? Audit? On what type of firms? Would the work be any different in a smaller firm (more variety I would imagine).

What do you want to do after you have qualified?

dont know exactly what I want to do when I qualify. Working in audit and have found that there is a relatively big firm coming local and are looking for staff. I know I only have a year left but I honestly dont know if i ll be able to stick it out. Some people say its not as much hassle to change as you think that s why i was looking for some advice!

It is possible and, if you hate the place that much the odds are that your employer has noticed and won't stand in your way.

Firstly call the ICAI to find out the exact procedure and then call the HR department in your firm.

Speaking from experience, albeit around 15 years ago, it is very hard to change contracts. I spoke to the Institute at the time and even a few other firms and in the end I was more or less told to keep your head down, finish out your time and move on with your career. Not great I know, but the accountancy profession is fairly small, so I would advise do what you have to do for the next 12 months to survive in the firm, and once your articles are up get out of there. In 2/3 years time it will be worth it.

Back