about to embark on a 2 year contract in Saudi Arabia. Info on tax affairs?

eddieore

I am about to embark on a 2 year contract in Saudi Arabia.

Where can I get information on how to arrange my tax affairs?

Is it correct that I can repatriate my earnings after 14 months and on the basis that I have met the 'non-residency' rules.

I am about to embark on a 2 year contract in Saudi Arabia.

Where can I get information on how to arrange my tax affairs?

Is it correct that I can repatriate my earnings after 14 months and on the basis that I have met the 'non-residency' rules.

This thread might help:

Working in Saudi

Do a search .... there are more

Well I repatriated my earnings every month and did not attract any tax liability. But that was over 10 years ago, so things may have changed.

It is a very different culture.
in some ways if you are a man it won't be as hard as for a woman.
But in other ways its easier being a woman...10 western men for every western woman. ;)

I worked there for a year and although a culture shock, I really enjoyed it and liked the people very much.

I suggest you read The Arabian Sands by Wilfrid Thesiger (?sp)

for an interesting history of Saudi in the 1940s. They lived like this until very recently.

I was in Saudi Arabia 18 years ago working fro a Saudi company. The law must have changed since, but you need to check this out with an accountant. I was caught for Irish tax because I was not out of the state a full tax year in my last year and re-entered the Irish Tax system.
The rule then was everything brought into Ireland was taxable. Don't be tempted to evade, it will only catch up with you.

There is a useful (if not exactly written in "clear english") guide on the Revenues own site

[broken link removed]

However I believe some of the rules for residency have changed in 2009 Budget.

Back