Motor About NCB protection

serotoninsid

Unfortunately, I had a fender bender - and had to stick it against my insurance. On the plus side, I had my NCB protected. I'm not in a situation of (more or less..) being locked in to my insurer for the next 5 years.

I received my renewal notice - and it had included NCB protection. This may seem like an obvious question - but I just want to make 110% sure....

Would it be correct to say that there is absolutely no benefit in including NCB protection for the next 5 years?

While I'm on the subject, is there any movement to get this thing recognised between companies i.e. I can hardly shop for quotes under these circumstances as other ins. co's insist on asking any claims/convictions in the past 5 years. It doesn't sound like an equitable situation...

Full NCB protection can often be a mixed blessing. Your NCB is protected after a claim but you still have to disclose claims information to a new insurer, which makes shopping around harder.To benefit from this cover this year, will depend on the wording of your NCB protection. If it states you are allowed 2 or more unlimited claims in a 3 year period, then it may be worth keeping. There maybe other companies that will quote, but they may not give you the benefit of a full bonus (even though your existing insurer does). Still maybe worth shopping around though.

www.powerinsurances.ie

Full NCB protection can often be a mixed blessing. Your NCB is protected after a claim but you still have to disclose claims information to a new insurer, which makes shopping around harder. ...There maybe other companies that will quote, but they may not give you the benefit of a full bonus (even though your existing insurer does).

Yes, I've always thought this was just plain wrong. Is there a regulator or other body - that has it within their powers to do something about this? For the sake of it, I might shoot them off a mail or letter.

To benefit from this cover this year, will depend on the wording of your NCB protection. If it states you are allowed 2 or more unlimited claims in a 3 year period, then it may be worth keeping.
Thanks. I'll check that out with them.

Still maybe worth shopping around though.
I'll probably do this anyways - without declaring the claim - to see if current insurer is deviating from normal rates...

Back