A tricky situation?

C

Chorley FM

I'm seriously thinking of leaving my present job. It's my first real job (ie after finishing college) and have been there for two years. I am about to apply for a job (in the UK) and hopefully will get called for an interview.

Now, my question is this: Will the company I am applying to want to contact my existing employer for a reference? If so at what stage?

I don't want to tell my current employer I am thinking of leaving (in case I end up in a kind of no-mans land for 12 months if I can't get another job). I have been told to put a note on my cv or in my cover letter to say that they should not contact my existing employer without my permission. Will this be acceptable to them? As I said it is my first real job so all of my relevant experience was picked up at that company.

Basically I don't want to tell my current boss I'm leaving until I have definetly got the new job in the bag. Is this realistic???

Chorley FM said:
Basically I don't want to tell my current boss I'm leaving until I have definetly got the new job in the bag. Is this realistic???
This is the same for almost every job-seeker. It would be very bad form for any prospective employer to contact your current employer without your specific permission.

Most recruiters understand that they may not be able to check a reference for someone who has had only one serious job. They will have to restrict themselves to checking character references and checking a reference with your existing employer after you have been offered a job.

If you have made the decision to go to the UK and if you are reasonably employable, why not tell your employer of your plans? As an employer myself, it is really a great help when an employee tells me that they are planning a career change or a move abroad. It allows me to plan for their replacement. It also allows them time off to look for a job and allows prospective employers to contact me for a live reference.

There may be some risks in this strategy in that you will be in a no man's land for some time, but I would think that the benefits outweigh the risks.

Brendan

I'd make sure not to tell my current employer my plans if there are any discretionary bonuses or increases in the pipeline.

No employer should contact an existing employer without tell you first and you would have to give them permission to do - if is a job application they will say whether they will be contacting your employer if you are shortlised. I would not tell my current employer my plans you never know when it will back fire on you.

I agree with Royroger on not telling employer your plans. I regret having done so previously. As a good manager/director of a company it is impossible for them to be non-objective, knowing your intentions, unless it is a blessing in disguise for them.

I did it out of complete loyalty to them as "trusted" colleagues, and in hindsight I would have been better off not having done so.

Thanks for all the advice. It's been a great help.

Back