A little something for Clubman!

almo

http://www.unison.ie/irish_independent/stories.php3?ca=45&si=1812685&issue_id=15510

This was in the paper today and I am still smiling. What I never realised is that an African nation HAS made it to the World Cup Semis, that there are more fans at a Bohs Rovers game than a Ireland game, that every weekend there are games in Croke Park, that GAA fans are very quiet and respectful (mustn't have met drunken Armagh fans then!), and what's amazing, is that England lost on Penalty kicks to Germany in the World Cup final! I figure this must all be on a playstation game, or else Ialia '90, and yet there is not a single mention of Romania, the agony with Holland, the daylight robbery with Italy (albeit with Mick McCarthy playing piggy back!), shocking, shocking, Des Byrne must be dying today!

Don't believe everything you read in a newspaper. Or even the Indo.
[FONT=Verdana, Arial] Take the other Tuesday night for example. Bohemians playing Shamrock Rovers at home, at Dalymount Park. The stands were full both sides of the pitch, which isn't always the case at an Irish match.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana, Arial]
This is not true for example. Official attendance was c. 3,700.

And this is just stupid:
[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial]My footballer best friend Des invited me to a match last year, which I covered for this paper. It was there and then that my true inner hooligan was born.

[/FONT]

I was cringing for the writer as I read it, and if this gets out to Bohs fans they'll be cracking wise for years! It's a horrific article and I don't even know why it was published, unless it's a cheap way to spend/save the promo money given out by the FAI.

how dare you efm!!!! :) If nick Hornby were dead he'd be turning in his grave!!!!!!!!! I think it's less chick lit than somebody massively unqualified to be a journalist and getting paid by a national newspaper to churn out nonsense.

I was cringing for the writer as I read it, and if this gets out to Bohs fans they'll be cracking wise for years! It's a horrific article and I don't even know why it was published, unless it's a cheap way to spend/save the promo money given out by the FAI.
She wrote at least one similar article last year. I think it was about her first visit to Dalyer. It's rubbish but far from the worst sort of exposure that the eL/LoI can aspire to these days I suppose.

I think it's less chick lit than somebody massively unqualified to be a journalist and getting paid by a national newspaper to churn out nonsense.
Unlike all the other Sindo "journalists"?

Well, the Sindo isn't exactly the most inspiring of the rag papers, and I don't understand the point in writing the article. If it's to promote the EL, which is great, then wouldn't it have been better to sit down with Des Byrne and pick his brains about actual events, and not just make up facts to pretend that her enduring interest has been re-ignited by steamy nights in Dalyer?

Yeah - as I said it's a rubbish article but far from the only one in the Sindo from my limited exposure to that publication. Personally I'd prefer this rubbish to that Ross O'Carroll-Kelly rubbish in the Tribune rubbish but I am biased.

In fairness Ross O'Carroll-Kelly is unashamed comedy/parody. & it's generally quite good.

Viva la Tribune, dont like the Sindo a-tall a-tall (says Miley)

Yeah - as I said it's a rubbish article but far from the only one in the Sindo from my limited exposure to that publication. Personally I'd prefer this rubbish to that Ross O'Carroll-Kelly rubbish in the Tribune rubbish but I am biased.

Ah Clubman, Rosser is pretty funny stuff!

It's closer to the truth than a lot of people realise!
What's worse yet is that some of the targets of the satire don't seem to realise it is satire. Either that, or some of of the people I've heard commenting on it are running a truly elaborate double / triple / I've-lost-count-and-the-will-to-live satirical bluff. No matter what, I find it shudderingly excruciating...

I dont see why people would have a problem with it, its the back page of a review supplement, it hardly dominates the paper, if you dont enjoy it then why read it. (thats the position I've taken on the Sindo)

Back