90 acre farm that is non viable commercially. What to do with all the grass?

StaroftheSea

Hi,

We have a 90 acre farm that is non viable commercially.

My parents use the income they receive from EU payments and REPS schemes to supplement their pension.

The problem is that we have 80 acres of grassland that is surplus to requirements. Nobody will rent this or buy the grass as there simply aren't enough customers out there for it....there are fewer and fewer people farming and people generally are looking to leave the industry.... in the last few years we have managed to sell the grass for a non profit price (sold it in bales having paid for baling) but now it's becoming impossible even to give it away for free... any ideas??

(selling is not an option at the moment)

Re: What to do with all the grass??

Assuming there are no customers and you have no use yourself for the bales, why not just enjoy your 90 acres of ""lawn"? Just top it every now and then to keep it under control.

Nobody will rent this or buy the grass as there simply aren't enough customers out there for it

Everything's for sale at a price cutomers are willing to pay. If you really want to get rid of it, it will go. Otherwise, treat it as a big back garden.

Not sure I understand correctly, but if it's generating an EU income for your folks, is this not return enough?

Have you talked to Coillte about planting trees and letting them manage it ?

Good thinking Aiden.

Also, maybe consider planting mahogany variety or oak trees... slow investment, but it may pay off in 40+ years

What about oil-seed rape for bio-fuel? There are grants available to get started.

As of yesterday, all automotive fuels in Great Britain will contain 2.5% bio-fuel.

Would forestry (or oil-seed rape) affect the EU payments? Are they not basically being payed to leave the land idle?

Where is the land in question? Seems very strange that you cannot rent out the land as it is expensive to do so around where I am. I know somone who might be interested if the location is correct...

BB

How about doing nothing. You dont have to cut the grass. Just let nature take over and you'll have a nice area of natural habitat within a couple of years.

How can 90 acres be non viable? Reps should be bringing in around €7/8K. There is also a single payment from EU of another €XX. Could you sow grain, even on a sharing arrangement with a neighbour? Could you put animals on the land, sheep, horses or cattle and pay a neighbour, or a neighbour's son/daughter to keep an eye on them? I would not be inclined to plant the land as once you put trees on it, you are stuck with them. In what part of the country are you situated? Could you arrange some deal with some young enterprising person to commence an organic enterprise on the land, either animals or veg? Is the land rough, mountainy, hilly and with scrub? Could you arrange shooting parties on it?

Alternatively, could you sell it and invest the proceeds in some high yielding shares or bank account?

I'd love to know where there is 80 acres of good grassland that nobody wants to rent for even a nominal fee! I doubt very much that its anywhere near to where I live!!

I'd love to know where there is 80 acres of good grassland that nobody wants to rent for even a nominal fee! I doubt very much that its anywhere near to where I live!!

maybe the grass is greener on the other side.... :eek::D:eek:

Re: 90 acre farm that is non viable commercially. What to do with all the grass??

Best to get professional advise from An Teagasc or IFA on this one . I'm sure if you advertise on The Farmer's Journal there's someone out there prepared to cut and bale this. I think that there is a lot of City Slickers on this site!!!

Re: 90 acre farm that is non viable commercially. What to do with all the grass??

Hi,
in the last few years we have managed to sell the grass for a non profit price (sold it in bales having paid for baling) but now it's becoming impossible even to give it away for free... any ideas??
I find this hard to believe. Farmers in the locality will always be interested in grass and variations thereof (hay or silage) especially if it is going cheap or for free. Put a free ad into Buy & Sell or similar and you will have a queue of takers

Have you talked to Coillte about planting trees and letting them manage it ?

Coillte are to the forestry sector what eircom are to the telecoms sector, ie an uncompetitive and poor value choice.

Pat Kenny might be interested in it as a wild life sanctuary?

Where abouts in the country are you?
There are a few things you could do with that land if it's in an accessible place and not boggy.
Would take a bit of work though. I have some interesting plans for some of my Dad's land @ the mo :)

I find it a bit strange that no-one wants spare feed in the area - wouldn't happen around me.
planting trees is an option - not one that I would take unless a last resort as you are stuck with them.
But if no-one around has an interest in Farming the land then I suppose it's a runner.

hey milk de man! Its in Mayo about 3 miles from big (ish) town. its very accessible and not boggy, good agricultural land. tell me more about your ideas.. I have fantasied about making it an 'open farm' where people could come to enjoy a nice walk and see animals etc but i think the botom line is that I'm not close enough to an urban population.. i have investigated alternative use of the land with regard to energy crops like miscanthus etc but for the time invested and unsure return its again not viable... forestry is not great for us as while my dad would receive payments in the short term and it would take care of the extra grass problem, long term I would not receive anything like this payment if/when dad passes away(terrible thought but i'm being realistic) as one has to derive most of their income from the farm in order to qualify, I have a full time job off farm... also the fact that currently one must retain the planted land in forestry for ever is very off putting.... i have looked into erecting wind turbines and even mobile phone masts for the more out of the way parts of the land but no company has expressed any interest in this.... there are plenty of golf courses nearby and karting centres etc etc
while i have a full time job, I am in a position where I could take time off to build an enterprise of some description, its the idea that eludes me......

While I don't think you could run a vistor attraction all the year round. If you consider the holiday season and lots of families take a holiday home for a week in the west then you might get some trade that way. Especially if theres a cafe on site. hard to know without knowing more about the location if it would be viable. You could make some other attractions either. Off road gokarts or painball etc.

Back