80 euro for 5 minute work???!!!

Mongola

My partner came home last night and shared some news that made me mad... To resume...My partner went to his GP last week to drop in a form that the doctor needed to fill so that he could put a claim through his travel insurance. (few months back, we were du to fly out for a wedding but he had severe ear infection and on doctor s advice, was told not to fly, I went anyways!) for him to claim.

So, he dropped the form last week and only collected it yesterday. To his surprise, he was asked to pay...50 euro for that. It must have taken the doctor 5 minutes MAX to fill the form! (name, his diagnostic at the time and sign) The maddest thing is that the Dr had left a note with the secretary saying that it is usually 80 euro but he would do it for 50 euro, making it sound as if he was doing him a favor. He did express his shock to the secretary but it really has nothing to do with her.

This, in my book is pure GREED and shows real pb in the health system: they are allow to get away with anything!
Needless to say, he won t use this doctor anymore.

What do you think guys? If I had gone to my doctor, I would not have even expected to pay anything! And if I did, it would be the price of him writing a prescription?!

I needed a sick note from my doctor before and I was charged €20. Normally €50 if he had to examine me which he didnt.
The professional classes have different rules. They make them up as they go along and basically have a stranglehold on the country which is why people are choosing to go up North or abroad for certain procedures which cost much more in Ireland, and dont have me get started on the Legal Cabal which protects the upper eschalons in their scamming of the country.

I went to visit my GP today. I did not have to pay - the situation was covered by a particular programme.

I am not friends with her.

She spent over 30 minutes with me.

20 of those were discussing films, food, holidays.

I like my doc!

Marion

Well Mongola, we went down that road some years ago i.e claiming against holiday insurance when my daughter could not travel due to being hospitalised. You were given a form which needed to be filled in (which I presume to be a Medical Report). It is not unusual for a GP to charge €80.00 for such. Whether it took 5 minutes or 50 minutes to complete is incidental. You paid for the doctor's time and knowledge and training and his/her smile. It didn't matter to the doctor if you had a serious disease or just fill-a-form.

There may be worse to come. Your insurance company might direct you to a medical consultant for a further report.

The likliehood is that after your insurance claim is settled, you will be probably more out of pocket than when you first claimed. Oh! and you have to wait about another year for settlement.

I agree that it is an excessive fee, but one thing I have learnt the hard way is to always ask before hand what somehting will cost. The best thing you can do now is call the GP and tell him/her personally that you and your family will not return to their practice unless they reimburse you. It probably won't make a bit of a difference to your situation, but people in this country need to wise up to the act of complaining. The reason the GP is charging this high a "fee" is not because of some imeasurable level of greed, but simply because people are willing to just hand over the money and not voice their opposition.
I had to make a similar claim a few years ago, and my GP didn't charge me for filling out the medical report; in hindsight your partner should have made a U-turn out of the practice, request a copy of the medical records, get a new form, and find a GP that would do it for less.
And contrary to Leper's post, my claim was settled within weeks.

I needed a sick note from my doctor before and I was charged €20. Normally €50 if he had to examine me which he didnt.
I'd imagine his surgery could be quite popular if he gives out sick notes without seeing the patient.

I'd imagine his surgery could be quite popular if he gives out sick notes without seeing the patient.

I was sad :-( because I had lost a friend whilst we were on holidays. To get the time off I needed a doctors note. He didnt physically examine me is what I meant. Apologies.

I agree that €50 is way too much but do remember that the fee covers all expenses; wages for other staff, rent, insurance, accountant, utilities etc.

My family recent changed doctor.

I was attending the same GP since birth. I have never had any health problems, thank God, so I it was never a major is issue when I paid the doctor, despite the fact he always put the cash into his wallet in front of me.

My wife attends a different doctor for years. She needed to 2 minor operations in recent times which implied more visits to her GP. Then we had 2 kids within 4 years which acted like a 'cash cow' for her doctor. Her doctor is still in the area of Galway where she is originally from despite the fact that we now live 7km away , on the other side of the city. As doctors go, he is average at best.

We decided to move. We were purposely looking for a doctor who is near where we live and is young. No point attending a doctor in his/her 50s who will be retiring soon.

We found a new local GP practice which has 2 doctors - 1 male and 1 female. When one of the kids got a sniffle, I rang for an appointment.

I told the doctor that we are a family of four who are willing to switch if the service is good and the price is right. They charge us €30 for quick visits and €10 if we need a second visit with the same ailment and zilch if we need to go a third time. When my wife and son were sick at the same time, they charged €40 for the two.

You can negotiate with doctors too.

My GP filled out the travel insurance claim form for free when I had to cancel our honeymoon due to being 7.5 months pregnant at the time we planned to go. The honeymoon was booked way before I got pregnant and the GP was more than helpful - he even offered to talk to the insurance if they have any queries.

My income is down 27% but my docs bill went up 20%.
This lovely corrupt nation.

My doctor's practice is still not computerised but he charges top rates. To see him rooting through the paperwork in my file looking for the last scrap of paper is no longer funny. Sometimes it is quicker for me to update him.

I was sad :-( because I had lost a friend whilst we were on holidays. To get the time off I needed a doctors note. He didnt physically examine me is what I meant. Apologies.

I don't see the distinction tbh. Mental health or physical health - surely he needs to do some kind examination before he can decide that you're fit/unfit for work.

Back