7 seater or 5 seater MPV

TheRebelRam

We have child number 3 on the way and are thinking of moving up to an MPV for a bit of extra space. We are currently driving an Opel Vectra which is fine for the two child seats(both under 5).
We are looking for advice, in your opinion would an MPV provide that much extra space for the third child seat, would it need to be a 7 seater?
Finally any top recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Budget approx €10k

We find the Ford GAlaxy terrific for 3 kids, big as they are now. Loads of room.

Slim

What about a big estate.

I have heard the galaxy are thirsty even in diesel.

MPV's are heavy so go for diesel if you can.

Having more space is nice to have not need to have.

There are small and large MPV's. A lot only have 2.5 seats in the rear, others have 3 almost full sized seats. Likewise some are long and some are short so the boot space varies accordingly. When the kids are small, you'll end up carrying loads of stuff in the boot, buggies etc, maybe double buggies etc So the extra seats don't get used that much. As the kids get bigger theres less in the boot, and the kids don't have car seats, so hopping into the back seats on a 7 seater is more useful. To carry friends of the kids, of a grand parent etc. Many 7 seaters have no spare wheel.

Diesel on a older used car is a question do you do the mileage to make it worthwhile. Petrols will generally have lower mileage, and cheaper. It may of set the lower resale of a petrol.

What's the difference between a Galaxy & an S-Max can anyone tell me?
They both look so similar.

Someone told me that the Galaxy is bigger (in cublic litres) but that it can't take 3 kids seats in the middle row whereas an S-Max can as it's wider.

If you do go for a 7-seater, make sure it comes with a spare wheel.

Some 7-seater MPVs have no spare wheel, just some get-you-home foam and an air compressor. Invariably, if you do get a puncture you end up having to buy a new tyre.

We have 5 kids age 3 up to age 17!!! drive a hyundai trajet petrol (05 model have all full seatbelts) find it great for room as 7 full sized seats. lots room in boot and pretty good on petrol!

Thanks for all the replys. We have managed to up our budget to appprox €15k.
We have been looking at all options and seem to think the Ford C max is very good value. €13k all in to bring a late '08 in from England.
Would anyone know if the space in the back of the C max is sufficient for 3 child seats?

Its a bit narrow. The middle seat is half width. You should go find one in a local garage and sit in it. Do that with a few different MPV's.

Went through this exact situation last year (hence the username!). Ended up going with the 7 seat Santa Fe 2.2. Diesel. Find it excellent for space and good economy wise. 3 car seats in the back and 2 pop up seats in the boot for any friends who need to be ferried around.

What's the difference between a Galaxy & an S-Max can anyone tell me?
They both look so similar.

Someone told me that the Galaxy is bigger (in cublic litres) but that it can't take 3 kids seats in the middle row whereas an S-Max can as it's wider.

The Galaxy is considerably larger (longer, taller, wider?). The middle row will accommodate 3 kids or even reasonably sized adults. In addition you can fit 2 more into the 3rd row AND you can still pile shopping in the rear.

Slim

The Galaxy is considerably larger (longer, taller, wider?). The middle row will accommodate 3 kids or even reasonably sized adults. In addition you can fit 2 more into the 3rd row AND you can still pile shopping in the rear.

Slim

Thanks for the differences Slim

Back