6 weeks to OMG - read it at the weekend

Betsy Og

I suppose you'd call it a diet book, but its more about how the body works with foods. Heard yer man on Tom Dunne, thats why I bought it, first (& probably last) 'diet' book I ever bought.

First off - the negatives - a lot of it written in cringey tabloid/chicky magazine lingo & a few statements thrown in just to be controversial.

The good stuff - and overall I'm was impressed by it:

- doesnt tell you to check your brain at the door and follow some cult like plan. No recipies, just a few commonsense guidelines.
- apart from the initial 6 week period, the long term maintenance doesnt require anything weird or onerous (some of the 6 week stuff is a bit radical, but again I think may be courting controversy)
- the majority of suggestions tally with accepted wisdom e.g. boosting metabolism is good, do some weights to boost metabolism & avoid muscle loss, keep carb intake reasonable, good sleep is important, movement of muscles burns fats.
- it points out stuff that makes sense if we ever took the time the think about it, like gulping down smoothies overloads nutrients in a short space of time so unless you're going to use them they have to go somewhere.
- it gives decent advice on a 'holistic' level, e.g. if something is stressing you long term then get help to deal with it.

So, no vested interest or anything, but for the health conscious it might be worth a look, there's even some so-bad-its-good toe curling entertainment in there!! :D

Glad it says that about smoothies - I can neve understand how people can have one ort wo a day - that is a lot of fruit and sugar!

1. Put down the fork
2. Eat stuff that looks like food
3. Don't eat stuff that doesn't look like food

If it has an ingredient you cannot spell or pronounce and your Granny would never have heard of then put it back on the shelf

Along those lines, if one of the first 3 ingredients is sugar then you're basically buying sugar, and beware stuff that ends in "ose", e.g. fructose, as they are basically more sugar.

Along those lines, if one of the first 3 ingredients is sugar then you're basically buying sugar, and beware stuff that ends in "ose", e.g. fructose, as they are basically more sugar.

Like "pantyhose"?

If it has an ingredient you cannot spell or pronounce and your Granny would never have heard of then put it back on the shelf

Wouldn’t that exclude a lot of food.

I had a quick think of what I ate last week that I didn't eat growing up.

olive oil
pasta
balsamic vinegar
sweet potatoes
curry made with spices
basil
baby spinach
garlic bread
chillies
spicy sausage
broccoli

spuds, bacon, cabbage, more spuds and gravy. Everything must be boiled far too long

Well I was a skinny young lad so it works

The Irish Mammys diet. Very little processed at all.
Produced our own milk even, dairy farm :)

Nowadays milk and potatoes are filthy words to the carb freaks

Pasta? Olive oil? That's for eyetalians, not Irish people Becky ;)

I grew up with a similar diet. Bacon and Cabbage is my favorite dinner.

I still eat spuds but without butter, took a while and in the end I just stopped buying butter. I eat bread but it's a garlic bread or a type of flat bread. I don't buy sliced pans, biscuits or breakfast cereals.

We did eat some processed stuff. I remember loving shop bought cakes with artificial orange cream. There was luncheon and trifle out of a box. That said it was rare and a treat.

Back