6 Nations.

DavyJones

Is it too early to talk about a Grand Slam?

probably :p

England in two weeks is a massive game. Hard place to go but not impossible. We have the beating of this English side, Especially as they favour bringing their wingers up the field. if Johnnie has his kicking boots on, we can certainly do a number on them there. Our pack, rightly, fear no-one.

If ourselves and France win in 2 weeks, it is a head to head in Paris for the tournament. That is a chat for another day as we need to get past a strong English outfit first.

However, our record in Paris is woeful.In fact our entire record against the French is poor.We last won there in 2000. When O' Driscoll scored that hatrick and lit up his arrival to the rugby world. Maybe it will be a fitting end to a legendary career. Start as you mean to finish.

England can feel properly aggrieved. They were a few minutes from a Grand Slam. France robbing them at the death. As they have done to us some many times, so is life.

England can take some consolation that while it's a second consequent year of finishing level on points, but falling short of points difference, this team is young and will go on to do great things. A good outside bet for RWC15.

Mike Brown, England and Harlequins fullback had a massive tournament, winning 3 man of the match accolades out of 5. A deserved winner of player of the tournament. A star to watch out for. Immense talent.
Our very own Brian O'Driscoll running a close second.

France, well, they did what France do, tried to spoil our party. They played like it was life or death. Great to watch for a neutral, not so great being Irish. That performance certainly has kept Saint-André in a job for now. You never know with France, they are fickle. A surplus of great players, with the right coach they would be world beaters.

Italy, a big step back from last year but they have a lot of really good players coming to the fore. If I were to advise Italy, it would be this: Play up the jumper rugby, let your forwards grind out the yards.Your kicker gaining territory They play an expansive game that they simply aren't capable of against the better teams.

Scotland are hopelessly lost. A complete reform of Scottish Rugby needs to be undertaken before you can even start on the national side. A shame really.

Wales, I've always admired Welsh rugby, they always try and play a fluid game. Win or lose they maintain a certain air. It has always amazed me the whole is worth more than the sum of its parts. Lets face it, the Welsh club teams have never achieved while the national team, at times, has been awesome. Saying that, I feel Wales are in for rocky times, how rocky, I don't know. But with a gulf of 1st team players following the money, it isn't a good thing for the national or domestic teams.

Leads me onto the 6 Nations Champions of 2014. :D

Ireland, absolutely brilliant. Doing all the small things right.

O'Sullivan tried to play an expansive game but didn't have the squad to finish it through. Kidney favoured a 15 man game, Munster style grind out the win. Maybe was guilty of not developing players that O' Sullivan never had the chance to. Either way, two exceptional coaches with great rugby minds. Personally I would love to see O'Sullivan involved in Irish rugby again, at provincial level at least.

Schmidt, his record speaks for itself. The man is a tactical genius. I bet he plays a wicked game of chess. He is honest and straight up. The team and its supporters have rowed in behind him. the divide in Irish rugby has been closed, for now.

Pro rugby has a very short history in Ireland. There was a time when we just did not have the players. Off the top of my head, John Hayes, Ronan O'Gara, O'Driscoll, these were players where there wasn't a replacement of the same or near to same quality. Now we have an abundance of top quality internationals, some being world class. Name a position and I'll name 3 capable players to slot in and not affect the quality of the team.

The future is bright for Irish rugby, we may finally meet the expectations of our provincial sides. RWC is probably a year too soon. I'd expect a semi final finish. Had it been 2 seasons from now, who knows :D

England can feel properly aggrieved. They were a few minutes from a Grand Slam. France robbing them at the death. As they have done to us some many times, so is life.

You can't say England were a few minutes from a Grand Slam. They didn't win their first match so they were nowhere near a Grand Slam!

Ireland were just as close. We were narrowly beaten by England. England were narrowly beaten by France.

Also, while i hope, i don't 'expect' a semi final place in the next World Cup.
Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, England, France & Wales will have something to say about that. Remember a certain BOD is finished and POC will be 36 in 18 months time!

As ever, we will be competitive, but will need a lot of luck.

I think you missed my point. England were a few minutes away (if they held out and won that 1st game).

Ireland were 4 points from a grand slam.

This Irish squad is every bit a semi final team. I expect it, you may not. Hope is for bad planners. However luck, like in life is very much needed in sport.

And England were 3 points from a Grand Slam.

It's all 'if's and maybe's'.

So England could have beaten France if they didn't concede that late try.
Equally, Ireland could have beaten England if Jonny Sexton hadn't kicked his restart straight into touch, eventually allowing England to score their match winning try.

And England were 3 points from a Grand Slam.

It's all 'if's and maybe's'.

So England could have beaten France if they didn't concede that late try.
Equally, Ireland could have beaten England if Jonny Sexton hadn't kicked his restart straight into touch, eventually allowing England to score their match winning try.

I said it way back in the early days of February.

. if Johnnie has his kicking boots on, we can certainly do a number on them there. Our pack, rightly, fear no-one.

Back