"500 yards...just shy of half a mile"

While your on to the director about the distance please mention this as well -

Andy crawls through 500 yards of an 18" sewage pipe to escape the prison. The ancient sewer pipe would have been filled with methane gas, carbon dioxide and ammonia fumes and too little oxygen to support the exertions of the escapee in the time required to crawl the distance. He should have passed out and suffocated shortly after beginning his escape. Additionally, when he first breaks the pipe it shoots up like water pipe under pressure. Once inside, the water is not moving. And when he gets to the stream that this supposed sewer pipe drains into, the water is pristine.

It's pointing out stuff like this that bugs the missus, particularly if my bro is watching it as well, we have to try to resist pointing out this stuff. The auld "suspension of disbelief" shouldnt be the universal excuse for sloppyness - talking worse examples than Shawshank here.

Re: "500 yaeds...just shy of half a mile"

What I want to know is he how he got the poster to stick to the wall after he left the cell.

I often wondered that myself. Even if I was the right side of the wall I couldn't stick it up as well as he did!

The classic of course being the wristwatch clearly visible on one of the Ben Hur actors :)

If you watch gladiator near the begining after the war scene maximus is standing outside a row of tents and just behind a horse you can see a guy in jeans and jumper slowly backing away. And later in the chariot fight scene when the main one turns over you can see the gas tanks underneath.

Here is a pile of them - but as per my earlier post (no.12) , debatable as to how many are real 'mistakes'. I'm sure some fall under character flaws/errors.

That movie mistakes site is a good laugh. The stuff we pick up on is more stuff that doesnt make sense, wouldnt happen in reality, someone is totally or repeatedly naieve etc.

stuff like the classic slasher flick stuff where yer one hears a noise and walks around in her undies in the semi-dark, reversing into shaded alcoves where assailants will surely nobble her, lingering longingly at the top of the stairs for an auld shove ... etc.

Being able to lip read is a great thing to have in a crowded room or when you are watching Bladerunner.

There is one scene where Deckard is talking to the Abdul ben Hassan, the replicant snake salesman he is saying one thing but the voice over says something else.

But the story is based in Bush-land, and any internationally recognised laws of physics, distance, nature, human rights and reality have all been repealed by the petro-dollar. :rolleyes:

Did this repeal happen before or after George W took office? The film was made in 1994, a little before his time - or maybe you are referring to his father?

I often wondered that myself. Even if I was the right side of the wall I couldn't stick it up as well as he did!

All he would have to do is stick it well in the top two corners and use it like a flip and maybe have a small weight on the bottom so it wouldn't blow around. I would be more concerned on how in 20 years he kept the same cell and managed to dig a 5 - 6 ft long tunnel with a little hammer.

Would it be pedantic to point out that it should be 'you're' rather than your.
Or even more so to imply that "you're" should have been in inverted commas;)

Ha Ha I hear you. I try and turn the thinking part off my brain off when I watch tv. for example I dislike watching any CSI or Law and Order, there are too many inconstitenties and why do all the suspects fold so easily?

Admit to NOTHING!

Back