5 year fixed rate advisable

lola1979

just wondering in the current climate if a 5 year fixed rate mortgage is advisable - we'd actually be paying more than we are at the moment on a variable rate - questionis will teh rates come down in the next few years?

thanks in advance

Nobody knows, don't fix just to read the market.
If you can afford to stay on a tracker then do so, in the long run they have been proven to be the best value.
If for some reason you need to redeem your mortgage in the 5 year fixed period you may be hit with penalties that will be greater than any savings you may make by fixing.

in the long run they have been proven to be the best value.

This is a matter of timing. Anyone for example who fixed their mortgage in the last 2 years is a very happy camper. e.g. I fixed March 2006 for 5 years at 3.80% Current ECB is 3.75+minimum margin with NIB gives a rate of 4.25%.

Fixed rates follow the anticipated path of short term rates such as ECB, so it depends how many hikes the market is anticipating. At the moment it is factoring in 3 more (4.50% for 2 - 5 years market rate). I think that if ECB got to 4.50% it would be the top end of their cycle, and may well take 6-9 months to get there. On that basis I think it would not be worthwile fixing for 5 years at this stage - from a "pricing" perspective. Obviously the comments around flexibility and affordability still apply.

Lots of existing threads on the general "fixed versus variable/tracker" and "[when] should I fix and for how long" issues.

Back