40k women ran the Dublin mini-marathon. Did you ever hear a better name for a 6k run?

The Womens Mini-Marathon has been is operation for 29 years. The organisers called it a Mini-marathon in 1982 when they knew no better and have stuck with the name.

Yes, you are right. It shouldn't be called a mini-marathon, but the women who take part didn;t decide that. If you want to mock anyone, mock the organisers.

I assume you object to the Mens Mini-marathon being called a mini-marathon too.

Your comment that Men know that this is wrong and women don't shows up your attitude.

BTW, what is your PB for 10k, and the marathon? Just interested in know if you are on the sidelines sneering, or someone who has a genuine interest in roadrunning having a sneer.

With the amount of money raised for various charities and the fun that thousands of women (and some men) seemed to have, they can call it whatever they want as far as I am concerned. Seriously, have you nothing better to complain about?

I was only joking. Not complaining. Not meaning to insult. Certainly not meaning to sneer. I have nothing to sneer at anybody about. If anything, I actually think the concept is among the finest concepts of sport in the country. Where else would you find so many people from different backgrounds, different ages and different fitness levels participating? Sport should be about participating, and there is no other event I can see that does it as well. I think it is great to see so many people participating and raising money for charity, and great to see so many people getting involved in sport.

Sorry for my previous comments.

I assume you object to the Mens Mini-marathon being called a mini-marathon too.

Your comment that Men know that this is wrong and women don't shows up your attitude.

BTW, what is your PB for 10k, and the marathon? Just interested in know if you are on the sidelines sneering, or someone who has a genuine interest in roadrunning having a sneer.

I didn't know there was a men's mini-marathon.

PB for 10K = 34 minutes.
PB for marathon = 3 hours 9 minutes

I wasn't sneering at anybody. I know what it is like to be so badly injured that it is painful getting out of bed in the morning for months on end, or not being able to walk properly. On days like that, enjoying running seems a million miles away. I would have loved to been able to run a few miles those days. I know what is is like to train hard. I know what it is like to be left on the sidelines for team sports. I know what it is like to feel good for nothing, and for years I have been overweight. I wasn't sneering. I wasn't slagging off anyone for running over 6 miles.

Sorry again.

I agree with you that the name is silly and in some ways prevents the event from being taken seriously.

I accept that you meant it to be a light-hearted comment and you got the tone wrong.

I had only two complaints about your post

You can run 10k is a very impressive time so you know the training commitment that it takes, and you gave the impression that 10k was not very serious, as it was "a short race"

My other big objection was the sweeping genralisation that women think its a big achievement to run 10K and Men know that it isnt. I'm sure Linda Byrne might be interested in that view.

I accept that you did not mean that, but it came across badly.

Lets leave it at that.

[BTW, My PBs are 10K - 50m, Half-Marathon 1.56, and I have some work to do to get them down]

I agree with you that the name is silly

This will tell you how much my tone was misunderstood. I think the name is brilliant and clever and highly effective. I actually wish I thought of it. I was just musing how mis-matched words were apt in this case, but unfortunately added a poorly comunicated sense of humour to my comments, and it all sounded very sarcastic.

Today is one such day. Yesterday over 40000 women ran the mini-marathon in Dublin. Did you ever hear a better name for six mile run in your life?

One's original post. Title updated to reflect original first post in thread.

40k women ran the Dublin mini-marathon. Did you ever hear a better name for a 6k run?

aj

As a man if I tried to run 10K I would die of a heart attack.

I take my hat off to all the women who completed yesterdays event.

Now, time for my cream doughnut.

Did any men run the race?
Used to people ranting on the Joe Duffy show that some men would dress up as women and complete the race for charity.

My wife ran in the mini-marathon yesterday. It's the first time she'd ever run 10K and was thrilled with her achievement.

She raised about €100 for a charity and, with others, made a significant contribution to the turnover of a couple of city centre pubs ;).

What's the downside ? A couple of roads closed on the SythSyde ?

Still a win :D !

One's original post. Title updated to reflect original first post in thread.

aj

Should that not be 10 k or 6 mile run?

I did the mini marathon a couple of times, stopped when the date started clashing with work commitments. The thing that always got me was people training for the mini marathon. I don't mean the runners, I mean the walkers/joggers, particularly the younger ones. They would talk about training for the mini marathon. 10km is a good walk?? I never trained and never struggled for having skipped the step.

I have trained for a 10k to run it. I would not be able to run 10k without some training first, maybe a 5k.

I do know a few girls who 'train' for the 10k and then end up walking it, so I get what you mean. Just call it walking a few times a week.

Back