400 Eur for gas heating ?!? (2.5 months)

petrucci

Hi All,
I got my first bill today for 400 Eur !
We have had HW & CH set up for 3h in the morning and 2h in the evening.
The bill covers 2.5 months.
Is 400 Eur reasonable ?

Thanks in advane.

Did you send in a meter reading when ye moved in? check the reading on the bill and compare it with the reading at the meter. they probably over estimated use.

Hi, we did send it but we can't remember how much it was and we can't find the piece of paper we wrote it on. Is there nothing we can do now?

Hi All,
I got my first bill today for 400 Eur !
We have had HW & CH set up for 3h in the morning and 2h in the evening.
The bill covers 2.5 months.
Is 400 Eur reasonable ?

Thanks in advane.

Petrucci

In order to answer your question, you need to tell us how big your house is in square meters.
Also how many kilowatts of gas did you use, and what was the average cost per kilowatt.

When you tell us this, we can evaluate if 400 euros is reasonable.

Is your house energy efficient in terms of insulation/ double or triple glazing/ airtight, any thermal bridges ? What room temperature do you set your system at, 20 - 21 -22 C ?

it sounds about the same as we get, thinks our was usually mid 300's but didn't have it on as long

I only have a two bed apartment and my gas bill for two months was over €300.. checked the reading and to my horror it was right...

sounds ok to me

Sorry :(

Yep, its a really kick in the teeth over the cold months. As well as above, also check your thermostat, try not have it ramped up to max.

same here - had an enormous bill in Feb for the colder months over Dec etc..Plus it was a reading so it was even bigger to make up the short fall from a previous est bill.

However - got another massive bill in last week - again close to 400€ We barely use the heating and have thermo's switched off upstairs for the most part. Only on about an hour in the morning and eve? cant understand it. To my horror the meter was correct as well.

a two bed apartment and my gas bill for two months was over €300.. sounds ok to me

That seems very high to me. We have a semi D circa 1600sq feet (gais CH) and our last bill was €250 which was exceptionaly high, in fact the highest ever. Our gais bill would amount to close to €1000 per year, €83 pm on average.

Not sure why its always been so high but each time i got a bill i checked the reading and it was nearly bang on.. maybe out by 10..
The Gas has gone up 4 times in the past year so maybe this has something to do with it..
I'd have the timer set for an hour in the mornings, and would turn it on for maybe two/three hours at night but spend alot of time in other half's house so alot of the time it wouldn't be used in the evenings at all..

Just something we have to live with eh...:(

Based on usage described your last post, your bill is not high, it is very very high..
Gais did not go up 4 times in the last year. In 2006, a unit was 2.994c. From 09/2006, it changed to 4.005, then dropped to 3.604c in Jan 2007 and up to 4.059c in jan 2008.

Have you had your boiler checked/serviced recently?

What's the average air temperature in your appartment?

the price of has come down recently, not gone up. why would you have the CH on in the morning for 3 hours ? and the water? whats that all about. turn it off

the price of has come down recently, not gone up. why would you have the CH on in the morning for 3 hours ? and the water? whats that all about. turn it off

Its on for an hour in the morning to heat up the water, in the evenings it would maybe be on for two/three hours

Based on usage described your last post, your bill is not high, it is very very high..
Gais did not go up 4 times in the last year. In 2006, a unit was 2.994c. From 09/2006, it changed to 4.005, then dropped to 3.604c in Jan 2007 and up to 4.059c in jan 2008.

Have you had your boiler checked/serviced recently?

What's the average air temperature in your appartment?

I received three letters in the last six months of last year from Calor Gas advising me that the rates were going up, This was only a new apartment i bought last april and a new boiler was fitted, i thought this was expensive as well but have asked neighbours and their bill was roughly the same..
I'm not sure of the definate temperature but its only turned up half way..

I have moved out of the apartment now and my boyfriend has a three bed house and his bill is less than mine for the two month period and he would use it more than i would have, have queried this with calor gas and was told "thats what you owe so there is nothing we can do"

Hopefully with the summer weather we are having at the mo it'll ease off for a while

Seems expensive to me.
I have a 2 bed apt and my monthly bill is about €10/12 :eek:
And they are not estimated readings.
We must have real good insulation

Mik

Yes they are estimates alright but are usually only out by about 10 units or so as i was checking them everytime they came in cause i thought they were very high

Jeez ur gettin away very light alright :D

My heating it with Bord Gais - may be cheaper?
And they have different tarrif options to suit your usage

Hi All, thanks for your replies.
We had the room thermostat set to 25 C.
The reason we had both HW and CH turned on in the morning was because I thought they shared gas.
Was I wrong? We've never had gas heating before so I'm not realy sure how it works and how we should optimize gas usage.
I don't know how to set up more complex programs on the thermostat because Bord Gais still haven't sent us a manual, even thuogh we've asked for it weeks ago.
P.S. I tried to set up a program for HW only but shortly after it turned on, some strange noises were coming from the boiler and pressure was slowly dropping. It doesn't happen when both HW and CH are on. Any ideas?
Thanks a lot.

i have a 1200 square foot house, bill for january / feb was 90 euro. on every evening for about 2hrs. if u heat the water at this time then it will still be hot the next morning, no need to have it on again in the morning.

turn the thermostat down to 18 and turn the heat on the boiler way down. you can heat water using the immersion ( electricity) or else using the GAS.

Back