38 | General Recommendations

Sammy Wilson

Personal details

Spouse’s/Partner's age: 40

Number and age of children:
2, (5 and 3)

Income and expenditure
Annual gross income from employment or profession: 150,000 EUR tax free.
Annual gross income of spouse: 0

Type of employment: e.g. Employed abroad

In general are you:
(a) spending more than you earn, or
(b) saving? X

Summary of Assets and Liabilities
Inherited home worth €300k (to be used for AirBnB for 20 years and then for In-laws to move to in old age, at which time it is assumed that we will take possession of their house to be used as a BTL).
Buy to Let Property worth €200k
Family home worth €200k
Cash on Hand €200k
Inherited holiday home worth €120k (cannot sell it, have assumed ownership to shield it from inheritance from another wayward sibling)
Crypto: €200k
Land worth €100k

Buy to let properties
Value: 200k
Rental income per year: 18000
Rough annual expenses other than mortgage interest : NA

Other savings and investments:

Do you have a pension scheme?
Paying into UK state pension (10 years of contributions)

Other information which might be relevant
No debt at all.

What specific question do you have or what issues are of concern to you?
Question 1:
I intend to return to Ireland this summer (after 180 days), I should have approximately 300k EUR in cash along with the above assets, with no debts. I would like to invest this 300k in something like an all world ETF for 20 years to get 8% return on average over the 20 years and retire when I have about 1.4 mill there. I'll live off that plus the rental income. I do not have any Irish pension or any other private pension. I may have in the future, but cannot guarantee any sort of consistent or meaningful work over the next 20 years. What is the recommended vehicle to use to shield from the impact of deemed disposal. Investment trusts?

Question 2: I live near Fermanagh, so have the benefit of the border. If i work, it'll likely be for a UK company. Are there any benefits or possibilities that would come from being border adjacent, for example being resident (on paper) in the UK, while the rest of the family reside in ROI?

Question 3: An open ended question: What would you do differently to me, assuming that selling none of the property is negotiable, nor is selling the crypto.

Last edited:
Back