3 piece suite (and other large bulk) disposal

elcato

Any recommendations for disposal of furniture such as these ? I tried jumletown and adverts.ie for free but with the 'procession' well over no-one wants them. I'd like to avoid a skip.

The charity shops?

They will send a van and collect them.

Failing that, I use a guy who calls in a big van and takes away everything and charges by the amount. No need to get a skip or drop it down yourself to the recycling centre.

Brendan

Hi Brendan - Can you give me an idea how much it cost ? I probably have a skipful of stuff as well so might be the same to get them to do the lugging,

Do you ever have excess capacity in your black/waste bin?
I dumped an old three piece in my waste bin a few years ago. Use a knife to cut the fabric open and you'll see how full of space they are. It takes about half an hour to get it down to manageable pieces. I think it was done in three bins lifts.

Mightn't be an option if you don't have the capacity though

Hi elcato

The company is called transwaste 0872066248. The guy I dealt with was called David.

It really depends on how much stuff you have. If you give him a shout, he will give you a good idea. It works out cheaper than a skip.
He doesn't take building waste though.

I used him a couple of months ago to clear out some stuff from an apartment. It wasn't much. A bed/sofa thing and bits and pieces. From memory, he charged me around €50 which was a lot better value than hiring a van and making a few runs to the recycling centre.

But he will quote you a price based on skip size.

Brendan

I'd second the chop it up option; fabric can be recycled, wooden frame can be chopped for firewood, remainder in general waste bin.

I got rid of a lot of stuff by putting on the internet as "free" (a bathroom suite, a window, a kitchen sink unit and a radiator). Mine were picked up really quickly, but I saw that a lot similar items had been languishing for weeks. I think the difference was that those items were out of focus pictures taken from one angle, of dirty and badly lit items and without precise dimensions.

I put up clear pictures (with a suite of furniture I would up up front, back and side pictures) of the the cleaned-up items, with honest descriptions (the bath panel was damaged) along with height, width and length of each items. I think I got rid of the lot (and they were collection only) in less than 48 hours.

So in short it could be worth you putting your items on the internet again, with improved pictures and descriptions.

Oh and in case anybody is wondering how you take a picture of a clear window, you close the curtains and take the picture from the outside :)

I got rid of a lot of stuff by putting on the internet as "free" (a bathroom suite, a window, a kitchen sink unit and a radiator). Mine were picked up really quickly, but I saw that a lot similar items had been languishing for weeks. I think the difference was that those items were out of focus pictures taken from one angle, of dirty and badly lit items and without precise dimensions.

I put up clear pictures (with a suite of furniture I would up up front, back and side pictures) of the the cleaned-up items, with honest descriptions (the bath panel was damaged) along with height, width and length of each items. I think I got rid of the lot (and they were collection only) in less than 48 hours.

So in short it could be worth you putting your items on the internet again, with improved pictures and descriptions.

Oh and in case anybody is wondering how you take a picture of a clear window, you close the curtains and take the picture from the outside :)

I second this.

Last week I put my old Sofa Bed up on Adverts.ie for free. I made sure to put up multiple pictures, a good description, dimensions as both sofa and bed and anything else relevant I could think of. I got my first offer in under five minutes and by the time he came to collect it, only four hours later, I had received a further three backup offers.

I had been putting this on the long finger for years, anticipating a pain in my neck trying to get rid of this and instead it was gone four hours after listing it.

Back