3 day week or half days

MammaMia

Hi all,

I'm about to be made redundant and may have the possibility of a part time job coming up - I have the option of 5 half days or 3 full days a week.

my question is, as I will sign on after my current job ends until new one starts - if I take 3 day week (say Mon-Weds) I presume I can still sign on for 2 days?? But for how long or indefinitely as the job would be permenant? And if I work 5 short days would I have no entitlement to SW

Also if I work Mon -Weds what's the position on bank holidays??

Thanks in advance for any advice.

You won't have any entitlement to SW if you do 5 half days.

If you work Monday to Wednesday you are entitled to paid leave on the day of the public holiday or, if you work it, an additional days leave, an additional days pay or a paid day off within a month of the public holiday.

Thanks missdaisy....that's what I thought on the bank holidays situation all right....

and would I be able to sign on forevermore for the other 2 days or would I have to be seeking employment for those two??

Figured that DB74, as OH is working too....but at least it would be some income for those two days....whereas if I work short days all week for the same money, I'd have nothing extra....

casual (or part-time) dole is NOT taxable.

However, you will only be entitled to it if you are available for and looking for work for the days you are not working.

Not to mention you will not be "forever" entitled to claim JB - as far as I was told it is only available for 312 days.

casual (or part-time) dole is NOT taxable.

Jobseekers benefit is not taxable where an employer puts you on a short-term working arrangement which is NOT the case here as the OP is leaving one job and starting another.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/c...payments/unemployed-people/jobseekers_benefit

Taxation of Jobseeker's Benefit
Jobseeker's Benefit is taxable. However, if you are getting Jobseeker's Benefit because your normal working week has been reduced (systematic short-time work) your Jobseeker's Benefit is not taxed.

depending on the distance from the job and commuting costs, don't underestimate this saving.

I was put on a 3 day week (temporarily) recently and have saved a lot on fuel costs as my round trip is nearly 40 miles a day.

Thanks for all the input folks....I'm just going to go for it and will see how it goes :)

Back