2nd year in a row rent increase

Murph

Hi
I have been in the current property for 3 years
Year one - rent was 2500
year two - rent was increased to 2700
now this year the landlord wants to increase the rent again to 3000.

Lease is up 2nd week of August - only notified about the proposed increase yesterday.

Question:
As the rent was increased last year can the landlord look to increase again this year.

Even if the landlord gives us 90 days notice of the increase is he still allowed to ask for an increase as it was increased last year?

Just wondering where we stand on this and how to respond.

Is this timeline correct?

2014 - rent was 2500
2015 - rent was increased to 2700
2016 - the landlord wants to increase the rent again to 3000.

If so, as I understand the new rules, the landlord is not allowed to review the rent until 24 months after the 2015 rent increase.

Hi Trasneoir
That time line is correct.
My understanding is that he shouldn't be looking for an increase this year but if he gives 90 days notice can he still expect an increase this year or does he have to wait until 2 years have passed since last increase then serve the 90 days notice about intent to increase the rent?

Hi Trasneoir
That time line is correct.
My understanding is that he shouldn't be looking for an increase this year but if he gives 90 days notice can he still expect an increase this year or does he have to wait until 2 years have passed since last increase then serve the 90 days notice about intent to increase the rent?

The latter.

Your landlord cannot review the rent again until 24 months after the date of the last review (i.e. August 2017) and then he has to give you 90 days' notice with certain prescribed information. In other words, he cannot lawfully raise the rent until November 2017.

It's bonkers but that's the law.

It's bonkers but that's the law.
You might think it's bonkers but when greedy landlords try and increase rent by 20% over 24 months then clearly something needed to be done. Of course it doesn't stop this particular landlord from ramping up the rent by even more in November 2017 as things stand right now.

Of course it doesn't stop this particular landlord from ramping up the rent by even more in November 2017 as things stand right now.

The reason I think it's bonkers is that this short term "fix" has the potential to exacerbate the underlying problem - the restricted supply of rental property. It is yet another reason why landlords are quitting the property rental business in their droves.

Thankfully this particular gimmick has a sunset clause so its effects will hopefully be short lived.

when greedy landlords try and increase rent by 20% over 24 months then clearly something needed to be done.

Why does a 20% increase equate to greed?

It's an issue of supply and demand, and landlords are taking it up the proverbial from all angles.

Why does a 20% increase equate to greed?

It's an issue of supply and demand, and landlords are taking it up the proverbial from all angles.
This probably isn't the thread to discuss it Gordon but seeing as you directly asked me, calling it "greed" or calling it "an issue of supply and demand" amounts to pretty much the same thing as I'm concerned. Another way of phrasing it is the landlord is putting up the rent because they know they can, not because they need to in order to cover costs. Absolutely costs (such as property tax) have increased in the last number of years but these in no way justify a €6000 annual increase in the cost of renting a house imho. That is why I equate such an increase to greed.

€6,000? So the property is now €36,000 a year / €3,000 a month? Not exactly a standard run of the mill property...Or are you just making wild generalisations?

How many other things have gone up by 20% over 24 months?

Rents collapsed, and being a landlord is bloody tough. Yes there are rackmen out there, but you're being far too general. And I'm speaking as a landlord who could increase the rent by 20%, but haven't. If I did though, it wouldn't be greed.

€6,000? So the property is now €36,000 a year / €3,000 a month? Not exactly a standard run of the mill property...Or are you just making wild generalisations?
Not sure why you're getting so excited Gordon, I'm only quoting the very specific numbers posted by the OP, nothing else. I'm not making any wild generalisations here, I'm speaking purely and only about the property discussed in this thread.

Thanks for the feedback guys - definitely leaves me better informed to reply to the Landlord and hold off on the rent review until this time next year.

Back