25 year driving ban in Donegal

Petermack

Just reading the independent about this Donegal man who got a 25 year driving ban. Not wanting to get into the rights and wrongs of what the guy did, but can the judge in this instance impose such a length of driving ban without the possibility of it being appealed and reduced to say 2 or 3 years on appeal. Are judges free to impose bans of such length or are there guidelines depending on the severity of the incident
http://www.independent.ie/national-news/judge-bans-man-from-driving-for-25-years-2323793.html

8 young people lost their lives in Donegal in a horrific accident approx 8 weeks ago, another 4 young people lost their lives in Kerry last week. No body knows what caused these horrific accidents as of yet but penalties for wreckless driving have got to be imposed and I do not fault the judge for one moment in imposing such a severe sentence and I hope more will follow his example.

I have no idea of your question but it is about time someone took a stance on young people and their irresponsible driving habits.

...it is about time someone took a stance on young people and their irresponsible driving habits.

Aah, nothing like a broad sweeping generalising to provoke a response.

OK, I'll bite.

That's a statement worthy of disdain and contempt and shows absolutely no understanding of the lives of 'young people' and their habits.

Ban them all ! :rolleyes:

Aah, nothing like a broad sweeping generalising to provoke a response.

:

+ 1

A ban that lengthy has significant implications on somebody's life, kids, work etc in the future - It seems that the judge is making an example of this guy He is in his 20's now and won't be allowed to drive until he's nearly 50?? Did this guys actions cause deaths or anything?

Everybody agrees that something has to be done about the driving habits of a number of young people in these rural areas but a blanket ban on driving for 20 odd years is not the way to do it.

In my opinion a 25 year ban is worse than a short term in prison. Why not give him 6 months if it was that bad?

A ban that lengthy has significant implications on somebody's life, kids, work etc in the future - It seems that the judge is making an example of this guy He is in his 20's now and won't be allowed to drive until he's nearly 50?? Did this guys actions cause deaths or anything?

Everybody agrees that something has to be done about the driving habits of a number of young people in these rural areas but a blanket ban on driving for 20 odd years is not the way to do it.

When I first heard it, that is exactly what I thought....going to effect his employment prospects, life in the future, etc and thought it a bit hard on him.

Then I had second thoughts, the person they crash into with their recklessness can do not of these things either.

It must have been a severe case for the judge to do this.

So what this guy did was 12 times worse than drink driving ?

This is a case a Judge who wanted his name in the papers.

It will be thrown out on appeal anyway, but that will be small piece on page 25 of the local paper.

In another recent case, a driver from Co. Clare was given 3 x 4 year bans for 3 offences, although they are to run concurrently. Not sure if it was the same judge though. He was arrested following a car chase by an umarked patrol car after the Donegal rally this year. He was first spotted doing 'doughnuts' on a main road and was pursued. He was clocked doing 180km/h and overtaking 6 and 7 cars on continuous white lines etc etc. He eventually lost control after spotting a garda checkpoint set up to stop him.

A woman travelling with her kids, who was overtaken by this maniac, stopped where he was and had to be restrained from kicking six shades of s**** out of him by the Gardai.

Turns out he had previous convictions for dangerous driving in Clare.

Discretion

I agree fully Marietta, but what I am trying to find out is can a judge use his own descretion when imposing non custodial punishments in cases of motoring offences. I presume in terms of custodial sentences he is governed by both precedence and by legal recommendations which will set out a max & min punishment for a crime.

Problem is that judges feel that they are in the should be allowed to use their discretion when handing down sentences. This had always been their arguement against mandatory sentencing (I'm aware there is a form of mandatory sentencing for driving offences).

Just read the report in the Irish Independent, this guy was a serial dangerous driver. There is no legitimate place on the roads for him. I think he should be banned for his lifetime.

the article states that he was convicted of dangerous driving on july 1 and august 12th and at various other locations. he may have had a number of driving related cases in court and he received a number of bans for different offences which add up 25 years in total!

seriously, why is it so upsetting? there's so many accidents and young people dying because they don't give a damn about the rules of the road and when one of them gets punished, people actually feel sorry for him?

i dont feel sorry for the selfish b******d and fair play to the judge.. he will probably drive anyway lots of ways to get false licences etc....

Back