2012 bank holiday for new years day?

Cheeus

Since January 1st 2012 falls on a Sunday, will Monday January 2nd automatically be a bankholiday? I have checked websites and got conflicting info. Does anyone now how to get absolute confirmation?

Would it be an official bank holiday or just at an employer's discretion? Is it possible that a state employer would specify that it's the Friday before new years day instead?

I was going to say the 2nd January is an official public holiday, but then I found this!

[broken link removed]

Code:
Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you are not legally entitled to the next working day off work. When this happens you are entitled to:
[LIST]
[*]A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
[*]An additional day of annual leave
[*]An additional day's pay
[*]The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.
[*]Your employer can require you to attend work on those days.
[/LIST]

Yes, and I've found other sites that say it will be an official bank holiday.
Does anyone know how you find out what the official national situation is?

What you, and many others, refer to as a bank holiday is really a public holiday. There are a couple of the days in the year that are bank holidays and not public holidays, but New Year's Day is a public holiday.

See this. I trust this site to be accurate.

Public holidays falling on a weekend

Where a public holiday falls on a weekend, you do not have any automatic legal entitlement to have the next working day off work. This occurs in 2010 when Christmas Day (25 December) falls on a Saturday and St Stephen's Day (26 December) falls on a Sunday. It also occurs in 2011 when New Year's Day (1 January) falls on a Saturday. This means that Monday 27 and Tuesday 28 December 2010, and Monday 3 January 2011 are not public holidays. When this happens you are entitled to the normal alternative arrangements concerning employment and public holidays that is:
  • A paid day off within a month of the public holiday
  • An additional day of annual leave
  • An additional day's pay
  • The nearest church holiday to the public holiday as a paid day off.
Your employer can require you to attend work on those days.

Back