2010: uk car import?

ccraig

is anyone planning on importing a car in 2010, if so what model, year and how much do you think youll save compared to market price in ireland?

Yes plan on importing a BMW 520D in the next few weeks. Aiming to spend approx €35K and planning to save €6-10K on Irish main dealers for exactly the same spec.

hi som42.......

was also looking at a 520d for this year in the next month or so.
35K is this for a new 520d or 2nd hand and does this include vrt/vat etc.
I can get a late 09 520d Se Business Edition , automatic with leather model here for approx €40k what spec are you looking at or should i also look at importing

hi som42.......

was also looking at a 520d for this year in the next month or so.
35K is this for a new 520d or 2nd hand and does this include vrt/vat etc.
I can get a late 09 520d Se Business Edition , automatic with leather model here for approx €40k what spec are you looking at or should i also look at importing

I'm looking at a March 2009 520D SE Touring with leather and auto/bluetooth/satnav. Approx 8K miles. Selling for around £25K. Translates to around €28K. Should clear it for less than €8K. Total €36. Flight approx €50. Ferry €125. Fuel €50. If you're buying a saloon you should do much better. They don't hold their value in the UK as well as the Touring.

shop around for the best exchange rates. call your bank, a number of other banks and currency.ie , you are likely to lose hundreds using just your bank

keep a print out of the model you view on carzone/cbg in the event that revenue overestimate the vehicle OMP, they will refund the difference if you can prove that their estimate is on the high side

I'd hold off buying a 5 series for the moment until the new model is well and truly out there - they will drop like lead in UK when they are freely available. I'm planning on buying a 520d M Sport Touring for my wife, pan roof, bluetooth, nav, PDC etc but won't do it until after March.

Mrblues
do you really think retailers will discount that early? what discount would you expect to pick one up for in March against now?

Mrblues
do you really think retailers will discount that early? what discount would you expect to pick one up for in March against now?

I know from my previous dealings with UK dealers that they will already have pre reg cars for Jan '10 they will be trying to move which in turn will push down the price of '08 and '09 ones. I'm not pushed on the year once it has the new engine in it and the main reason I buy in the UK is for spec not price.
I'd expect an '09 good spec to be £21 - 22k by March/April albeit after a good deal of negotiation!

vrt inclusive, how would that compare to one in ireland?

No that would be exclusive of VRT. Currently there are two the spec I want in '08 cars in Ireland the cheaper is €49,950 so minimum I will save is likely €10k but more likely nearer €15k.

i agree with moooney you should check around for quotes of exchange rates with a number of banks or brokers such as omnisfx

I'd hold off buying a 5 series for the moment until the new model is well and truly out there - they will drop like lead in UK when they are freely available. I'm planning on buying a 520d M Sport Touring for my wife, pan roof, bluetooth, nav, PDC etc but won't do it until after March.

I would have held off till March but I sold my privately over the Christmas period and couldn't be without a car for that long. There should be some good value around then. Many of the dealers in the UK have dropped their prices for 09 cars since the new year.

Back