200k to invest year on year

Erith

Hi there, I have about 200k to invest pending buying a house at some point over the next several years (sometime between 1 and 10 years). I know to get the most out of decent funds I should be looking at 5 year minimum investment but I really do no know when I will decide the time is right to buy a house. The most I feel I can commit to is one year at a time at the moment.

Any advice on low risk investment for one year at a time for possibly several years in total?

Thanks

Seeing as your time horizon is so short (one year at a time) and the fact that your looking for something low risk and which you may need access to your funds at short notice I recommend putting your money into a deposit account. Check out the best buys forum for a list of the best deposit rates for large lump sums.

If on the other hand, you are willing to commit a certain amount of money for at least five years you could consider a mix of index tracker funds with Quinn Life. As with all investments you should consider seeking independent, financial advice from a qualified financial advisor before making any decision.

Given the amount involved, I would second the recommendation for impartial professional advice.

However, given

(a) the timeframe; and
(b) the risk profile;

I would be surprised if the answer is anything other than 'cash' i.e. a deposit account.

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated.

I know this has come up before, but how on earth do you find a financial advisor you trust? Isn't using some random entry in the yellow pages just as risky as making your own decisions?

There is a list (S. 31 Register) in the Key Posts that details Authorised Advisors who are regulated by the Financial Regulator. Unless you can find someone who has sought advice in the past, this is about as much as you have to go on.

Back