2 things on buying online cheap cds/dvds and security

C

car

Firstly, check out [broken link removed]
the media section is selling uptodate dvds for US1.99 dollars and music cds for US99 cents. Theres a delivery charge of 99 cents per cd.
Dunno how reliable they are so gonna buy a sample to see.
Secondly, In checking out buying, I was a bit nervous about handing over my CC details to a dodgy looking Aisian site so contacted AIB CC centre where they kindly directed me to their transact online facility thru their 24hr website. Register, then download a little app to the pc, tweak the config and hey presto an individual card number for each transaction where you set the limit that can be spent. The most you can lose is the limit you set.

Counterfeit....

.... hardly. Is the Mona "Liza" really worth 110 dollars. Sounds about right. If you do order (and I don't suggest you do - is handling counterfeit a criminal offence?) I suspect that your DVD will have to be Multi-Region.

That link doesn't work. Did you mean www.vietnamonlinestore.com ? I can't decide between the Mickey Mouse and the Mona Liza (sic.) myself. What would somebody with taste, like CJH or Denis O'Brien, go for do you reckon? Reminds me of all those small ads in the Evening Press years ago selling Stradivarius fiddles for next to nothing.

vietnam online store

sorry about the link, it was indeed www.vietnamonlinestore.com
I was posted the link, and I too couldnt get into the media section. I had to create a login by trying to buy something in the general store section. I told this to the guy who posted me the link and he said to try a generic login name of "media" with a password of "vos". This should get you in, but if purchasing anything you'll need to create your account. My posting buddy got the un/pw off it off another forum.

However...., after selecting all the dvds and cds you could want in a lifetime I went to buy them where I found you could only purchase with moneygram, bank orders or western union, NO visa. A little put out at this so mailed several contact address on the site yesterday to try and purchas with CC but still awaiting reply. Why would someone not take visa?

Re: vietnam online store

[broken link removed] had a peculiar ring to it alright

Re: vietnam online store

Folks

I would be cautious when purchasing items via the Internet using Western Union or bank orders. This is often used by Internet defrauders to get your money. You order your items, send your money and never see your goods or money again. Money sent via bank orders or Western Union cannot be retrieved or traced.

A number of people on Ebay have been stung purchasing goods using Western Union only for the goods never to arrive.

I would treat this with a great deal of caution. Remembet "if it is too good to be true ...."

C

"why would anyone not take visa?"

Because the other options (cheque, Western union, bank draft) can be converted into cash before you become suspicious that your order may not arrive. You may as well send notes for all the security these payment methods offer.

On the other hand, payment by visa (or any credit card) allows you up to 60 days to dispute an entry that appears on your statement. If you have not received the goods to which the entry on your statement relates, you simply inform the CC company who will ask the retailer for evidence that thay are entitled to the money sought. If they haven't evidence that the items were delivered, the CC company has no right to seek it from you.

There is no need for you as customer to resolve the matter yourself with the retailer.

This legitimate entitlement is not one the CC companies will necessarily encourage you to avail of for reasons of the additional workload it places on them. However, they have no option if a dispute arises.

What you receive every month is a statement, not a bill and your terms and conditions allow you to query any item that appears on it within a certain timeframe, normally 60 days.

Re: "why would anyone not take visa?"

If they haven't evidence that the items were delivered, the CC company has no right to seek it from you.
I don't think it is quite that simple. The credit card terms & conditions usually allow them to debit the account, once you have authorised the debit. So if they can produce evidence that you have authorised the charge, the credit card company can step out of the dispute. In the non-online environment, this involves producing a docket. I'm not sure exactly what evidence is required in a credit card environment.

Having said that, the credit card companies generally seem to take a pro-consumer line is cases of fraud, and will usually not expect you to pay the disputed amount. But I wouldn't enter a transaction with the assumption that 'I can always just dispute the transaction' if you don't like the product.

Re: "why would anyone not take visa?"

Interestingly I had a browse of the www.vietnamonlinestore.com website.

If I want to buy the Mona Liza, I can do so by CC. But if I want to buy DVDs etc. I can't use my CC !! The plot thickens.

Also point to note when dealing with any online web site is
(a) Make sure that all communications are secure. This is indicated by a padlock symbol on the bottom right of your browser window when you are accessing a secure server.
(b) Try and determine how the company you are dealing with protect your information. Once you submit your CC details they are stored in a database somewhere. Is that database secure so that only authorised people access it? Will the company honour your privacy, i.e. sell your personal details onto others?

You would not give your CC to a shady looking street dealer to purchase goods. The same caution should be applied when purchasing online.

C

Re: 'Why would anyone not take VISA'

I think you're right, Rainyday. Typically what your Credit Card T&Cs allow is for you to deny that you authorised a particular payment. But if you did authorise the payment there is no clear way back. There is a world of difference between someone fraudulently charging things to your credit card and you yourself handing your details over to a dodgy trader.

If you authorised the payment, you did so on the basis that something would be provided in return. If it hasn't been provided, you can reasonably advise the CC company not to pay - to allow them to do otherwise makes no sense.

I'm not suggesting that this facility should be used in cases where you simply don't like what you have been provided with but in cases where the discharge of a contract hasn't been effected (i.e. where the retailer hasn't provided an item) I think it's reasonable to advise your CC company that you're not prepared to pay.

The alternative is to pay up and settle the matter yourself with your Vietnamese retailer. I know which route I'd take.

Re: ..

Bamboo

Bear in mind that if you authorise a transaction to be applied to your account, then you are telling them to give that merchant the money. All your card issuer needs to know is that you are giving them the instruction. It’s not for them to decide if you have received some good or service, or if the product is up to scratch. All they want to know is that you have authorised the transaction, and not someone pretending to be you. It is up to the punter to determine that the goods are fit, much the same as if you paid cash in advance.

This is simply what typically is contained in credit card terms and conditions. The only ones I can find online are Permanent TSB’s at the link below, but I expect other issuers to be much the same. Condition 8 clearly states that the issuer is not liable for third party goods and services. Remember, they are selling you unsecured credit, not consumer protection.

[broken link removed]

There's a distinction between goods provided that are of not of merchantable quality (which is a consumer issue between buyer and retailer) and the seeking of payment for the provision of goods or services that haven't been provided.

An implicit condition of authorising a retailer to debit your CC account is that they provide something in return. Where they seek payment through the vehicle of your CC, I think it's reasonable that you should have scope to withhold this payment if the good/service hasn't been provided. It's natural justice (even if it isn't provided for explicitly in your terms and conditions) and is a facility that your CC company should be willing to provide on your behalf. After all, you are their customer (even if the concept of customer service is not widely known within the financial services sector). This doesn't equate to a refusal to pay.

Personally, it's a facility I have used successfully (and appropriately) in the past. I only offer it to this forum as a possible reason why our Vietnamese friends won't accept plastic - it doesn't guarantee them payment in circumstances where they can't (literally) come up with the goods.

I agree that, card issuers don't want to see fraud and understand that, to do this, they need to protect card holders. And, indeed, because of this and the traceability involved in credit card transactions means it is probably not a great method for a fraudster to get payment.

But I still have a bother in that the card issuer is not a party to the supply of the goods. My understanding is if your merchant can prove you authorised payment that is not reversable. I have never had such a complaint myself. In your case did you cancel the transaction on the basis that you had authorised payment but goods had not been received, or on the basis that, say, it was a telephone order and the merchant could not have produced evidence you had actually made the order?

mail from them

further to the fact you cant buy dvds and cds with credit cards from the media section of vietnam online store, I mailed their customer service and got a reply from one Dung Doan, whose mail addy was [email protected] so Im just guessing that they are part of the overall store.

------------------
Dear Sir,

I am sorry but we are unable to accept credit card at the moment. We will advise you when we are.

Thank you and kind regards,
Dung Doan
----------------

guess its either risk the moneygram which would cost 12 euro with BOI (I rang) as they dont allow personal customers to send cash transfers internationally. This service is only for business customers. hmmmm!!

I suppose if I was really keen to buy from them I could pick up a mona liza for 110 dollars, but I may just pick up the real thing next time in paris, I wonder does the louvre take visa? I'll have to up the limit somewhat tho.

Noticed at the weekend....

that a lot of the DVDs you can order on the site (1) aren't even released yet and (2) are all region free. The distributors hardly ever release region free DVD's.

Vietnam websote

Hi, I've purchased several 'lots' of DVD's and CD's, all perfect quality and delivered within 7 days if in stk. If not, good service for selecting alternatives. Know several mates who've also purchased from the site, all with no problems except one who recevied poor quality DVD. These were exchanged promptly with no issues. Seems ok to me, and at that price is a good gamble anyway.

Re: Vietnam websote

Are the DVDs bone fide in that they're in a proper DVD case with the proper sleeve and the proper print on the actual DVD i.e. not just a blank DVD with someone's handwriting on it and a black and white photocopy as the DVD sleeve???

Back