2 Storey Extension to a Terraced house

Well done for going down the planning route
However, you will probably find its a 13-14-week wait for your Grant of Permission.

- 8 weeks for the Decision to Grant Permission, assuming is not refused and no further information is requested
- 4 weeks for the Appeal Period to expire following the Decision to Grant Permission
- up to 2 weeks for the issuing of the Grant of Permission.

This latter extra time arises because the board typically won't issue the notice of appeal for a couple of days after the permission issues, to ensure last minute appeals "mislaid" in the systems are found and processed.

If Monday was the last date for appeal confirmation that no appeal was in mightn't issue until the following Wednesday or Thursday.
The local authority might not process that notification or prepare the Grant for Signing by the County Manager until Monday.
Friday might be the next signing day - County Managers are busy people.

So it could run on for a bit, and commencement before the date of Grant of Permission constitutes unauthorized development.
This additional fortnight can really mess up 16-week builds if there is a specific deadline date to be met.
The constricted site means it can be hard to simply fit enough men in to make up time.

You are now forewarned of the delay, but if there were objectors it could still be Appealed.

One other thing - be careful of resting your ambitions on pre-planning agreements.
I developed an excellent result (so I thought) on a site in North Dublin a few years back - real value-added stuff to an existing dwelling.
Everything was signed sealed and delivered and we went for planning to be hit with a two page Further Information Request.
Everything from confirmation of legal boundaries to rights of access to proving pre-existing Pre-1963 Apartment use.

"Unbelievable!" I thought, and rang the planner in high dudgeon.
I was well aware that pre-planning was not a guarantee of permission.
However his was such a sea change that I felt badly mauled by the area planner.
Not a bit of it - my contact had taken a year's sabbatical and a new planner was installed.
He had decided to rigorously examine every planning application - new broom sweeping the place clean.

I had already done our homework on most of the items and was able to answer the Further Information Request, but it was a significant delay.

Regardless of the foregoing, best of luck with it.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

Hi All,
We want to add a 2 storey extension to a terraced house. I know 40 sq meters can be added over 2 floors without planning permisson. The garden is also very long, so we will not have any issues with the 25% rule. I have a few queries;

- Has anyone done this before, and were there any problems with the neighbours? (Our neighbours are friends and we will speak with them first.)
- Are there any contractors that would do the full work including planning and design that you could recommend?
- Any ideas on cost - the last threads on this are a few years old, and I expect pricies have decreased significantly.

Thanks

have you seen this
for terraced or semi-detached houses, the floor area of
any extension above ground level does not exceed 12
square metres, this includes any previous extensions
carried out;
• any extension above ground floor level is at least 2m
from any boundary;
from http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

have you seen this
for terraced or semi-detached houses, the floor area of
any extension above ground level does not exceed 12
square metres, this includes any previous extensions
carried out;
• any extension above ground floor level is at least 2m
from any boundary;
from http://www.environ.ie/en/Publications/DevelopmentandHousing/Planning/FileDownLoad,1586,en.pdf

The text of the governing regulation was given in post #19 above.
Its always good to have a more user-friendly version.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

All advice on AAM is remote from the situation and cannot be relied upon as a defence or support - in and of itself - should legal action be taken.
Competent legal and building professionals should be asked to advise in Real Life with rights to inspect and issue reports on the matters at hand.

The text of the governing regulation was given in post #19 above.
Its always good to have a more user-friendly version.

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

mea cupla, had not read thread but was concerned with his 40 without reference to the 12 for the upper floor coupled with the 2m requirement for the upper floor when he may be building ground on boundary:)

hastalavista,

You're quite correct to draw his attention to this matter.

AAM is a privately funded resource intended to benefit public to which interested parties post for free giving hopefully competent advice.

Being conscientious enough to ensure that a pertinent piece of information is brought to the attention of a poster is good practice :)

ONQ.

[broken link removed]

Back