Laya 2 adults & 1 child - Essential Connect Family

NHG

Hi all, renewal time 1st January again, don't know where 2015 disappeared too...
Quote for 2 adults & 1 11 yr old child €2044.00. Thankfully we haven't had a claim this year. Got a quote for Flex 250 explore €1922.60 - only option offered from Laya
After reading some advise on threads here on askaboutmoney rang again and asked for a quote for Simply Connect €2461.20. (€1099+€1099+263.20)
Is this our best option to have some access to high tech hospitals which hopefully we won't need?

My parents renewal is up same day and I sort their plan out too have always been on same plan, this year my Dad was very ill (obstruction to bowel) and was in Aut Even twice (2 weeks in total), had emergency transfer by Lifeline back to St James and St James 3 times (aprox 6 weeks in total) - biggest problem was waiting for a bed for his surgery (had 3 lots of surgery). Thankfully all good now and hasn't to go back to consultant unless he feels unwell and then he will see him privately. Could have had 1 lot of surgery done in Blackrock Clinic if he had cover but hadn't.

Would Simply Connect be a better option than Essential Connect Family. My parents don't have a medical card - didn't apply for one even though I got the forms for them, must get onto that again. Dad is 70 & Mum is 66

Thanks in advance.

Hi NHG,

Firstly, just to clarify the quote you were given by Laya, is for Simply Connect Plus plan, 2461.
Both Simply Connect and Simply Connect Plus plans are identical regarding hospital cover. The only slight difference is regarding the inpatient
hospital excess if admitted to a private or hi-tech hospital.
Maximum excess with Simply Connect is 150 x 2 = 300 per year per person. Any extra admissions are free.
Maximum excess with Simply Connect Plus is 150 x 1 = 150 per person per year. Any extra admissions are free.
Day case excess on both plans is 50 per visit.
Note; no excess applies to any public hospital.

Both plans have good day to day cover for gp visits, consultants, dental etc with a 1 euro excess. There is no waiting time applied to this cover with Laya, allowable straight away, regardless of age.
Simply Connect; maximum day to day refund is 300 per person per year. Half of 600 = 300.
Simply Connect Plus; maximum day to day refund is 500 per person per year. Half of 100 = 500.

Prices
1. Simply Connect; adult price 999pa, child price 239pa.
2. Simply Connect Plus; adult price 1099pa, child price 263pa.
[broken link removed]

Note; there is a 3% charge applied if you pay monthly or by installments.

These plans are probably the best options that include hi-tech hospital cover, if needed. The main reason being best, relates to the maximum
hospital excess of 300( 2 visits) or 150(1 visit) per year.
The Flex range of plans, including Flex 250 Explore also includes the same hi-tech hospital cover, but you would pay 250 for every admission to a private or hi-tech hospital. While this plan may suit yourselves, I would not recommend it for your parents.
The extra 150 premium for Simply Connect is well worth it, for lower excesses and also day to day cover.

Regarding your parents also, Simply Connect plans are a very good option for them too, much better than Essential Connect Family. If they have any pre-existing conditions, there will be a 2 year wait to avail of the hi-tech hospital cover, just in respect of pre-existing conditions. All new conditions will be covered straight away in a hi-tech hospital.
There is also the option to choose a different plan for each person, if you want.

Regards, Snowyb

Thank you so much for your detailed reply, I will go ahead with with the Simply Connect Plus for us all today, you have put my mind at ease as I find all these plans a minefield, Thanks again...

Back