2/3 days & nights in Donegal

• Thread starter northwest bound
  • Start date
N

northwest bound

2/3 days & nights in Donegal

Can anyone recommend a nice area in or around county Donegal to visit for a couple of days?
Not really keen on the main areas of Donegal town, Letterkenny or Bundoran but would enjoy somewhere scenic, sea or mountains, places of interest, a selection of places to eat and good, clean reasonably priced accommodation.
Is that too much to ask?

Donegal

As hubby is from Donegal and I've spent lots of time up there I would recommend Glencolmcille for scenery - mountains, beaches, walks still totally unspoilt. It's abt an hour from Donegal Town (which has a new hotel on the bypass called the Mill something that has lots of good reports. Great restaurants - Blue Haven, Kitty Kellys, (both in Kilcar) The Schoolhouse (in Meenanary) plus lots of good pub grub. You can visit the folk village, go fishing or take a boat trip from Teelen Pier around the back of Slieve League (the highest sea cliffs in Europe). Enjoy whatever you do.

PS I don't work for the Tourist Board but I'm a Dub who relishes what we don't have here!

Re: Donegal

I agree with Diamond. Head west from Donegal Town, through Killybegs to Glencolumbcille. You could also go further to Aradara, Glenties and Portnoo. Great golf to be had at Murvagh(*donegal Town) or Naran-Portnoo(nr Glenties). Great places to stay&eat - Ard na breatha, Donegal Town - 074 9722288, Castlemurray House, Dunkineely(nr Donegal on Glen road), Highlands Hotel, Glenties & Lakeview Hotel, Naran, Portnoo. Stay at any B&B.

Depending on how you are getting to Donegal, the route can be changed.

Slim 8)

Re: Donegal

[broken link removed]. Castlemurray House & Chateaubrainne my favs

Back