2,000 offers of social housing turned down last year

Well, I refused to go on the housing list. I am happy renting privately and have medical needs to be where I am now. Maybe folk do not realise the pressure some local authorities put on those applying for rent allowance? Cork for example refuse ra applications unless you are on the housing list. When I moved to West Cork after years renting further north I was told this; no ra until and unless I was on the list. It took them 7 months to process my application during which time no ra. When the man finally came to do the visit, I asked why and his take was " We like everyone to be on the list." A welfare complaints officer I met at a craft fair ( I am over 70 and disabled) kindly asked if i was getting all I was entitled to and told me that there was no legal requirement or need for me to be on the list as I had been renting privately some years. I emailed a complaint and they were on the doorstep next day assuring me of my ra... I managed to get the back money also. When I moved county again, the new council again tried it on. The lists are inflated by this. The ghost estates! There are three in the village near me and others within a short distance. PS we who seek help with a roof over our heads are not beggars.

Back