1st time tax relief - trading up

Peeete

If I sell my house (bought as ftb 18 months ago) and purchase a new house will I still be able to claim 1st time buyers tax relief for my new house?

Yes - for the remaining c. 5.5 years of your FTB relief period. And it's not dependent on you selling your former home. I am assuming that you will occupy the new property as your Principal Private Residence.

oh really thats good, i was wondering that myself!

So you remain a first time buyer for 8 years no matter how many times you sell/buy as long as you just have the 1 home?

No - 7 years - see [broken link removed].

And you can only ever have a single PPR but having additional properties (e.g. one or more rental properties) does not preclude you from claiming FTB relief - unless you had previously bought a property before buying your first PPR.

I am planning on occupying the new house I buy but I thought I would have to sell my first house to be eligible!!

No - you don't have to sell your old PPR.

Bear in mind that if you rent the old PPR out within 5 years of purchase then you will be liable for a clawback of stamp duty. And if you keep it for more than 12 months before selling it on then some portion of any resale gain will be assessable for CGT.

Thanks! One more question.

If I do sell it, which i probably will, what way will the CGT affect it?

It won't unless you don't sell it for more than 12 months after vacating it as your PPR. Then some portion of any gain will be assessable for CGT. For example if you owned the property for x years and then hold onto it for y more and then sell it then (y-1)/x of any resale gain will be assessable for CGT.

Back