14 days arrears notice question?

classychick

Hi

I will be issuing a 14 days arrears notice to my tenant on Friday 28th - she only paid half the rent this month. Ive only had her in the house since November and this is the 2nd month where payment has been in question. I didnt issue notice last time but I really cant go through this every month wondering if I will get paid.

My question is if I issue her the notice and she pays me within the 14 days but the same happens in Feb - Do I have to issue her with amother 14s days notice or can I give her 28 days motice?

I really cant understand why the rent supplement is paid direct to recipent and not the tenant! No wonder this country is the way it is.

May sound harsh but get rid of her now, its far to early to put up with hassle like that, you dont owe anyone a place to live.

May sound harsh but get rid of her now, its far to early to put up with hassle like that, you dont owe anyone a place to live.

Ignore this...there are ways and means to evict people but being rash and doing this is gonna land you with a PRTB fine of thousands.

OP you need to check there terms of your lease with your tenant and see what it says about ending/breaking the lease. If it allows you to end the lease you may be better off issuing appropriate notice now. If it's a year long lease without a break clause then you will have to do as you suspect, issue 14 day notice over and over. If you don't get paid within the 14 days you can then issue a 28 day eviction notice. If you do get paid then the clock is re-set until next month when it may be the same situation again

Would changing the rent to weekly solve the problem for both your tenant and yourself. Some people cannot budget monthly so that may be what's causing your tenant problems. Also people who are paid weeky may find it difficult to budget monthly.

uodadubs your right it is a hassle but I think it might be better to go down the correct road with this woman.

Shesells, I contacted the letting agent who placed the tenant and unfortutely I cant break the contract. The letting agent even though not managing property will take this on board and will be calling down to the property tonight to talk to tenant. She also placed a call with the tenants CWO who will be making contact re payments. But as you said I'll still have to keep issuing arrears notice....catc 22!

Bronte, Back in December when she didnt pay on time (18 days late) I asked her to contact her CWO to arrange payment direct from SW to my account. She said she would but so far hasnt - I thought this would be the ideal payment arrangement for someone in receipt of SW as it takes pressure of having to save the weekly amounts.

Im still preplexed how the SW can operate such a bad system of payments for housing supplements - surely it would make sense to arrange payment with the landlord direct....

What really gets to me is that fact that her rent is been paid for by the state and yet she still cant make the repayments....it just doesnt make sense!

I'll wait to hear from letting agency before we proceed....

sorry for the rant...just very upset

better to go down right route , just did had an adjudication last week with tenant and PRTB

Just an update - the letting agent called on the tenant last Friday night and surprise surprise she was able to hand over the full amount there and then! Her CWO was calling her in yesterday to have a quiet word in her ear about how important it is to keep up with rental payments...Im sure it just went over her head and I'll be here again at the end of this month...Roll on November when her lease it up!

Back